Electric starting for an AMC 500 single

General purpose topics/chat goes in here
SPRIDDLER

Electric starting for an AMC 500 single

Post by SPRIDDLER »

As the average age of owners increases there have been posts on here asking about electric start kits for singles. ALTON in France produce leccy start kits for Velocette singles at around £2,200 and AMC/Norton twins but not for AMC singles.

Whilst browsing for the comp release information in my previous thread I chanced upon these two clips of Matchless 500's showing in the first one the manufacture of a kit for an electric starter and in the second one the kit being used.

Ref the first clip I came across a long series of posts on another bike website by Jampot member Knut (aka mdt-son) in Norway who had been involved in endeavouring to contact the (now deceased) elderly chap in the USA who designed and made the kits. I understand that in spite of considerable efforts to obtain the patterns for the new casting the family did not wish to sell them and the trail has gone cold.
The clips may be of general interest.

'There is a tide in the affairs of men
Which taken at the flood............'
spookefoote1956

Re: Electric starting for an AMC 500 single

Post by spookefoote1956 »

Yes, I was looking into that too Nev but no luck. Alton has no interest in making one for our breed. Mind you friends in the Velo club have told me stories of bent cranks so maybe not the best idea. Still if someone was making kits it would be worth a punt.
Hail Joe Lucas ............ Prince of Darkness!
All my bikes are original........ to me!
"Creativity is your intelligence having fun" Albert Einstein

Post by 1608 »

I noticed he didn't use the valve lifter when kicking but did when using the leccy starter!
None the less, smart bit of kit and well put together.
spookefoote1956

Post by spookefoote1956 »

It's a shame the family wouldn't sell the patterns. Mind you, I would have thought there was enough engineering genius hanging about the forum to sort it out.
Hail Joe Lucas ............ Prince of Darkness!
All my bikes are original........ to me!
"Creativity is your intelligence having fun" Albert Einstein
rex.webb

Post by rex.webb »

Sure a person as you say on the Forum could re crate it ?????
r w webb
56G80S

Post by 56G80S »

Neville, it's clear that you are going stir cxrazy. - JohnnyB
SPRIDDLER

Post by SPRIDDLER »

56G80S wrote: Sun Apr 25, 2021 7:27 pm Neville, it's clear that you are going stir cxrazy. - JohnnyB
:D
You could be right John but the leccy starter question appears from time to time as do many other questions which have been comprehensively answered numerous times.
I came across the starter details accidentally so I thought during the quiet Lockdown it might be useful to put the clips together in a post with a specific subject heading that should be picked up more easily in Forum searches. After all, during up to 80 years the bikes have remained mechanically the same as they were when new. It's only the owners who've changed.
'There is a tide in the affairs of men
Which taken at the flood............'
56G80S

Post by 56G80S »

Nev - I was commenting on the number of posts, which like mine have increased, not the content which is great. - Johnny B