Burman GB Gearbox Bearing Seal

General purpose topics/chat goes in here
chappers1962

Burman GB Gearbox Bearing Seal

Post by chappers1962 »

The only oil leak left on my 1956 G3LS is coming from the main bearing side of the gearbox, which looking through past threads, is a common problem (only got a pint of oil in there but its still drips). Ive prised out the old seal, which was orientated with the spring pointing inwards, but in the spares book, the illustration shows the spring pointing outwards from the gearbox. Is it inwards, or outwards or doesn't really matter.
Screenshot 2021-04-21 at 14.42.27.png
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Mick D

Re: Burman GB Gearbox Bearing Seal

Post by Mick D »

Hi

The conventional way to fit lip seals is with the garter spring on the wet side, it's the way I found and re-installed the seal on my GB box.

With regard to the illustration you have posted, the seal carrier is also depicted in the opposite orientation to how I found and re-installed mine.

Regards Mick
Pharisee

Post by Pharisee »

I concur... Both the seal and the seal carrier are shown the wrong way round. If the carrier is fitted as shown, you won't be able to get the circlip on. The seal should be fitted spring side into the gearbox.
John
I'm from the Fens.... Gimme six.
56G80S

Post by 56G80S »

It's how I did mine too.

JohnnyB
chappers1962

Post by chappers1962 »

Many thanks for the replies. Thought as much as I’ve always put seals in that way, but have been following the spares book for the rebuild which generally graphically has the correct orientations and sequences for components. Will buy a new spacer as well as picked up on a similar threads, that they can become worn resulting in oil weep even with a new seal (is this correct?).
Mick D

Post by Mick D »

Hi

Yes, it's good practice to replace the spacer which, as you say, acts as the running surface for the lip seal - make sure your replacement spacer has the same dimensions as the one you remove ;)

Regards Mick
jimh

Post by jimh »

Just about to replace this oil seal (27-12-2) on my bike, can this be done with the gearbox still in the frame and without dismantling the box?
if so how tight is the oil seal holder (39-12-1) in the case, is there room to hook it out with say some bent wire?
Thanks Jim
Mick D

Post by Mick D »

Hi

Yes, the seal, (and bearing if necessary), can be replaced in situ. Once the circlip has ben removed the only thing retaining the seal holder will be crud, the easiest way to remove the seal and holder assembly is to drill a couple of small holes 180 degrees apart into the seal, screw in a couple of self tapping screws and use pliers to grip them and remove the assembly.

Regards Mick
jimh

Post by jimh »

Hi Mick
Thanks for the tip, will have a go this morning.
Jim
jimh

Post by jimh »

HI Mick
Got the seal out but the holder (39-12-1) stayed in the Case, does it need to come out?, if so I may need get it out the same way as the seal.
Jim