Twin oil pump difference

General purpose topics/chat goes in here
mshaw

Twin oil pump difference

Post by mshaw »

Hi can any one tell me the difference between a 1958 600cc twin oil pump and a 1961 oil pump and is there any where I can get a explosive view of the 1961 pump

Regards Mike
SPRIDDLER

Re: Twin oil pump difference

Post by SPRIDDLER »

Text and illustration on page 12 et sub here:

http://archives.jampot.dk/book/Workshop ... models.pdf
'There is a tide in the affairs of men
Which taken at the flood............'
Groily

Post by Groily »

I don't think there is any difference Mike. In '63 the double-size pumps were introduced, with the fat timing cover, but twins of those years would I am pretty sure have the same. Any of the relevant workshop manuals in the archives will have a pic of the pumps in it I think (but not sure how exploded). 'Seen one, seen 'em all' really.
http://archives.jampot.dk/Book/Workshop_manuals/ - but (edit as we go!) Spriddler's there already!
The things that DID get chopped and changed were the filters and the pressure relief valves (design and location - and elimination altogether for a period).
Pumps that look different do exist however - improved designs such as Rik Gibbons' ones, and other upgrades to include O rings on spindles and oil-tight side-plates. Some of them look really rather tasty compared to the originals.
If you've got a decent pair of the standard items and a mounting plate, I'd sling 'em on without worrying too much. If you haven't got any . . . usable used ones probably can be had from AMC Classic Spares, or one of the other suspects.
If by chance you take them apart ever, I'd be careful to refit each little gear in exactly the same place, same way round, and ditto the end plates and other bits and bobs. Despite often reading about concerns about the lubrication system on these things, I've not had problems with the standard items. One pair of mine have been in continuous use since 1976 and I've never replaced anything in them.
Samuel

Post by Samuel »

Groily wrote: Thu Apr 22, 2021 4:51 pm One pair of mine have been in continuous use since 1976 and I've never replaced anything in them.
Just the oil I assume :lol:
Sam
Duncan

Post by Duncan »

I normally face the end plates off whenever I have a pump apart to minimise any potential leakage around the end of the gears
Groily

Post by Groily »

Samuel wrote: Thu Apr 22, 2021 5:31 pm
Groily wrote: Thu Apr 22, 2021 4:51 pm One pair of mine have been in continuous use since 1976 and I've never replaced anything in them.
Just the oil I assume :lol:
Good one! Several hundred times Samuel!