Can I upgrade to a 12V system

Helpful information and requests for assitance and advice
mjf65

Can I upgrade to a 12V system

Post by mjf65 »

Good evening, my AJS M31 is still running the 6V +ve earth electrical system. Is it possible to upgrade to 12V given that it is the dynamo charging version and is it a big improvement with the lighting?
Mick D

Re: Can I upgrade to a 12V system

Post by Mick D »

Hi

The short answer is yes you can, (easily).

Rather than go over old ground, can I suggest you use the search facility, (magnifying glass top right), where entering '12V Conversion' brings up 238 references?

Regards Mick
Groily

Post by Groily »

mjf65 wrote: Tue Apr 20, 2021 9:42 pm is it a big improvement with the lighting?
Depends on bulbs used and reflector state etc. Theoretically a 6v 35W halogen delivers exactly what a 12v 35W halogen delivers, just uses twice the current to provide the same power. Some LEDs work on either voltage so no difference.
But at the higher voltage you can up the wattage of the headlamp. Forget the old 30/24W or 35/35W even, and think 45/40W perhaps. Using the standard E3L dynamo, unaltered, you can safely generate up to a continuous 75W+, as opposed to the 60W max before or with replacement finer '12v' windings. But your cut-in charging speed is higher, as per many of the 239-now posts Mick refers to.

Will the dynamo last for ever? Probably not. But that's no different at 6v or 12v! Occasional oil ingress on the twins, vibes, heat etc all make for a hard life for the thing, so a bit of maintenance doesn't go amiss now and then. But all parts can be had easily, which is why I regard them as a sensible option still, rather than going for an Alton alternator say.
spookefoote1956

Post by spookefoote1956 »

If it's just the lighting that's a concern then change to LED's
Hail Joe Lucas ............ Prince of Darkness!
All my bikes are original........ to me!
"Creativity is your intelligence having fun" Albert Einstein