Steering stops

Information relating to the Matchless G2 or AJS Model 14 250cc Lightweight
WiltshireMike

Steering stops

Post by WiltshireMike »

I'm scratching my head on the subject of steering stops on my 66 G2CSR as the fork shrouds are touching the tank on what is full lock; I'd imagined that there would be a positive stop between the lower yoke and the frame, but what's there doesn't function as a stop. Any comments out there, or even better a pic or two of how the area is supposed to look.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
clive

Re: Steering stops

Post by clive »

Basically the wings on the fork tripple tree should touch the frame and act as a steering lock. I do not have a lightweight but it looks as though the end of the wing has been ground back (or worn?). This could have been done if the bike has ever been used as an off roader with a smaller tank and more lock was required. My resolution would be to weld some metal back and then grind it back until the required lock is achieved.
clive
if it ain't broke don't fix
dave16mct

Post by dave16mct »

A temporary solution might be to bend a piece of metal and bolt it though the locking plate hole. It would save your paintwork until you could build it up with weld.
Dave.
Groily

Post by Groily »

dave16mct wrote:A temporary solution might be to bend a piece of metal and bolt it though the locking plate hole. It would save your paintwork until you could build it up with weld.
Dave.
Is what I did 'temporarily' a good few years ago (!) on my Mod 31 when I fitted flat 'bars which fouled the tank top. Just used some heavy penny washers filed down to suit. Easy fix, not really noticeable, works well, and no mods to yokes - if the next bloke wants to have raised 'bars again, which I expect he will, there's nothing messed up.
clive

Post by clive »

A bodge after my own heart. Once fitted why take it off! :rofl:
clive
if it ain't broke don't fix
dave16mct

Post by dave16mct »

Sort of thing that used to be in 'Hints and tips' in Motorcycle Mechanics years ago. :D
Dave
WiltshireMike

Post by WiltshireMike »

Thanks fellas - amazingly quick replies! I've found a pic of the later lower yoke which confirms mine's been ground back ... at least I know where the solution now lies.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
clanger9

Post by clanger9 »

I had the same problem on my CSR. I made some adjustable lock stops using M8 eye bolts.

I didn't expect them to last, but they worked perfectly!
http://www.jampot.com/forum/viewtopic.p ... 08#p167973
1989 Moto Morini Dart 350
1993 Ducati 750SS
Mick D

Post by Mick D »

Hi

That's a neat solution, though I'd consider using the head of the screw, (or better a profiled standard hex bolt), as the contact point.

Regards Mick
Andy51

Post by Andy51 »

Hi Mick, I made steering stops from bent steel strip, doing the same job as Clanger9's eye bolt, but using a plastic number plate screw to bear on the frame, reducing damage to paintwork. PM me and I will send a couple of pics. Andy