new owner Matchless G3 62

Information relating to the Matchless G3 or AJS Model 16 350cc Heavyweight
dynamic

Re: new owner Matchless G3 62

Post by dynamic »

HELP NEEDED could someone please confirm how to check the gearbox oil level do I fill via the inspection plate where the clutch cable attatches using the small nut on the rear of the casing as a level plug ? approx 1 pint, or am I missing somthing obvious
I have found out the bike has not been run since 2007 sump now drained so I am looking to see if it will start,
I have had the oil pipes & oil tank filter off and all is clean
56G80S

Post by 56G80S »

Which oil is a question which is covered endlessly. There are differing views and I'll not engage in that.

My personal observation is that I run straight SAE and would think carefully before switching as there's always the possibility of stirring up deposits which are left in the engine with SAE but less so by modern oils; so I've read. But some oil circulating better than no oil or not enough oil.

I use the SAE in my gearbox. Others use EP90. Can of worms, the oil question.

JohnnyB
dynamic

Post by dynamic »

Hi JB thanks for your reply am I correct in thinking I use the clutch cable plate to fill the gearbox ?
Mick D

Post by Mick D »

Hi

Yes, that's where you fill from.

The level plug is at the rear of the gearbox outer cover, a little above the level of the kick start shaft.
GB Level Plug.png
Regards Mick
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by Mick D on Wed Apr 21, 2021 8:43 am, edited 1 time in total.
clive

Post by clive »

Yes fill through the top inspection hole. If you fill the oil to the filler plug level you are most likely to get a steady drip from the kickstart shaft area. When i got my first Matchless some years ago i was advised to only fill the oil until you can see the kickstart quadrant stirring it. This has been good advice for both Burman and AMC gearboxes. As to engine oil 20/50 for classics from Halfords or Morris will be ok or SAE 50 which was what was originally specified for the Uk. The former may result in wet sumping more quickly the latter making the bike difficult to start on a cold winter morning. I bung whatever i am using in the engine in the gearbox. They are not fussy.
clive
if it ain't broke don't fix
dynamic

Post by dynamic »

Hi Clive & Mick thanks for the replys I am now closer to initial start up I will post the outcome later
dynamic

Post by dynamic »

Dear all having changed g/box & engine oil also checking primary level it was time to try starting my machine

flooded carb a squirt of easystart and only started third kick ! ! ! a steady oil return a smooth tick over "one is absoultley thrilled "

charging at 13 + volts across the terminals, I know it was last run in 07 so super happy

I discovered a constant drip from the primary case, removed said case to find "ye old orange hermatite goo"

after switching off I notice the engine went solid would not move on the kickstart ? I rocked it in gear and all returned to normal

it restarted no unusual noises or knocks are apparent, is this a normal quirk or do I need to further investigate ? ? ?

so a wonderful afternoon and thank you all for your input

PS best place for a primary gasket ?
Mick D

Post by Mick D »

dynamic wrote: Thu Apr 22, 2021 5:57 pm I notice the engine went solid would not move on the kickstart ? I rocked it in gear and all returned to normal
Hi

This happens sometimes, it's the result of the kick start quadrant not meshing correctly with it's associated gear - your fix of rocking the bike in gear is correct. If it persists and becomes an issue you can dress the first tooth or two on the quadrant with a stone.

Regards Mick
Duncan

Post by Duncan »

Mick D wrote: Thu Apr 22, 2021 6:05 pm
dynamic wrote: Thu Apr 22, 2021 5:57 pm I notice the engine went solid would not move on the kickstart ? I rocked it in gear and all returned to normal
Hi

This happens sometimes, it's the result of the kick start quadrant not meshing correctly with it's associated gear - your fix of rocking the bike in gear is correct. If it persists and becomes an issue you can dress the first tooth or two on the quadrant with a stone.

Regards Mick
Would a 62 not have an AMC gearbox?
dynamic

Post by dynamic »

I do know the gearbox is stamped G 35908 with engine No.G 341781 frame No.A82367