new owner Matchless G3 62

Information relating to the Matchless G3 or AJS Model 16 350cc Heavyweight
Andy G

Re: new owner Matchless G3 62

Post by Andy G »

Duncan wrote: Thu Apr 22, 2021 6:49 pm
Would a 62 not have an AMC gearbox?
Confused..it does doesn't it, or am I missing something?
Screenshot_20210423-124612.png
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Bombling contentedly around rural Aberdeenshire
Mick D

Post by Mick D »

Sorry all

The symptoms are classic of the Burman gearbox - didn't think before I typed :oops:

Of course a 62 would have been fitted with an AMC box which does not have a kick start quadrant and it 's associated meshing issue.

Regards Mick
dynamic

Post by dynamic »

"if some one told me I have a Sturmdy Archer gearbox I would believe it" still getting farmiliar with machine
Reynard24

Post by Reynard24 »

The Engine number should be G3 41781 & the gearbox should be M 35908, I've never seen any AMC gearbox with a G as the prefix. I have a 1962 machine and the gearbox is G 36532 so the number is in the right area for '62 manufacture. If the gearbox is locking up you might need to open it up and check that all is as it should be. There are articles on this box on Christian's Archives (Archives.Jampot.dk) and it is very easy to work on.
dynamic

Post by dynamic »

Hi Reynard the gearbox is not locking up its just after stopping the machine the kickstarter goes solid, placed in gear & a slight rocking motion puts it back to normal I have yet to ride the machine
upon a closer look gearbox No. is M 35908 eng.G 341781 with 028094 on left of cylinder base frame No.A 82367
I am still happily finding my way around this machine and still thrilled it started after being stood since 2007
Pharisee

Post by Pharisee »

That gearbox number sounds about right. I have a slightly earlier one ('60 or '61 I believe) that has the number M 24539
amcgearbox2.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
I'm from the Fens.... Gimme six.
dynamic

Post by dynamic »

Today getting ready for debut ride machine all checked over front to back oil levels/timing/brakes/all nuts and bolts/oil pipes & flow /charging at 13+ volts/etc
I am now experiencing fuel tap leak on eack tap in both on and off push position,
upon tap strip down I find what looks like fibre washers with a spiral pattern accross the surface I am guessing these should be cork items ?
can I use fibre washers which I have onboard or can I cut new items from a cork wine glass coaster maybe ?
I really want to try my machine out I have even discovered the gearbox is 1 up 3 down
PS before today I have been starting my bike using an auxilary small fuel tank
clive

Post by clive »

HMM if the tank had been dry for some time as the corks swelled with the pertrol they may well have ended up sealing. But there again they might not. You would be better using a wine cork, great excuse to buy and drink a more expensive wine. Fibre washers are unlikely to work as the spiral pattern is what seals it that side and there has to be some spring in the cork to seal the other side to the flat of the tap slide. Both sides. If cutting your own make them just a little thicker than the ones you remove as they have become flattened.
clive
if it ain't broke don't fix