CS side stand

Information relating to the Matchless G80 or AJS Model 18 500cc Heavyweight.
mdt-son

Re: CS side stand

Post by mdt-son »

Hi John,
did you reach a conclusion? I am looking for a side stand to fit my '63 CS, which has a 21" front wheel as well.

-Knut
Pharisee

Post by Pharisee »

mdt-son wrote:Hi John,
did you reach a conclusion? I am looking for a side stand to fit my '63 CS, which has a 21" front wheel as well.

-Knut
To be truthful, no. The stand is the same length as the touring version (and definitely not bent) so there's no way it can hold the CS at the same angle as my G3 or M18. I've just accepted that I have to be careful where I use the side stand and make sure that it's stable before I walk away.
John
I'm from the Fens.... Gimme six.
ajscomboman

Post by ajscomboman »

Guys you have all been looking for something that does not exist! Other than the G3C all other models inc twins used the same length stand. The difference between them being the twins had an extension to clear the near side pipe so you could flick it down with your foot. If the bike leans over too far it's because the rail by the boss has twisted or the hole worn. I have 3 CS's all with a bog standard 014715 side stand and with 21" front and 4.00 x 3.50 on the rear and they lean perfectly fine.
Pharisee

Post by Pharisee »

Hmm... I said in my last post that the side stand was "definitely not bent". Well, that wasn't quite right. As I still had the bike up on the work bench after fitting my new centre stand, I just went out to check. The side stand didn't have a bend in it, but there was a pronounced curve if you looked in the right direction. A few minutes work with the oxy/gas torch and a length of pipe and the stand is now perfectly straight in all directions. In truth, it didn't make a whole heap of difference. It lifted the bike about an inch but every little helps.
John
I'm from the Fens.... Gimme six.
mdt-son

Post by mdt-son »

John, in your initial posting you measured side stand length to be 11.5". Please let me know how you measured, as I have no s/stand yet. Is it the hypothenuse from center of pivot to the footing/leg intersection?

Would anyone care to review the side stand sold by AMOC Spares?

Thanks,
Knut
Mick D

Post by Mick D »

Hi Knut

This is the AMOC supplied stand:
Prop Stand Dim.png
11.25" from the pivot centre line, along the axis of the stand to the bottom of the foot.

Regards Mick
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by Mick D on Sat Feb 06, 2021 3:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
56G80S

Post by 56G80S »

I had no side stand for most of my ownership and fitted an AMOC one which has worked well, including coping with the Matchless heavily laden on the way to rallies.

If that's the kind of review you meant.

Johnny B

PS on ferries I did reject the deckhands belief that lashing down should be with the sidestand and put the Matchless on the centre stand and lashed down myself.
mdt-son

Post by mdt-son »

Thank you for the image, Mick. Looks like the hypothenuse to the arm/footing intersection is approx. 9-3/4" which is the dimension I am interested in.

Johnny, knowing the AMOC stand fits and works well is valuable info. Thanks for sharing.

Genuine stands are becoming very expensive at FleeBay, many of which are deformed. A new stand seems to be a better proposition to buying a genuine one in need of repair, and wear which can't be fixed easily.

-Knut
Mick D

Post by Mick D »

mdt-son wrote:Looks like the hypothenuse to the arm/footing intersection is approx. 9-3/4" which is the dimension I am interested in.
Hi Knut

That dimension is actually 10.25"

The stand looks to be well cast and it fitted without any 'fettling' - not used it in anger yet but don't expect any surprises.

Regards Mick
mdt-son

Post by mdt-son »

Ahh - never trust a picture! :-)

Thank you Mick.