Advance / Retard / headlight switch knob

Information relating to the Matchless G9 or AJS Model 20 500cc twin
Chris B_LAPSED

Re: Advance / Retard / headlight switch knob

Post by Chris B_LAPSED »

Hi heres a pic of the mag / handlebar set up
20210205_180138.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Chris B_LAPSED

Post by Chris B_LAPSED »

So just to clarify folks the left hand side (brake lever side) is going to the carb as normal and the clutch side lever is going to mag. So thats correct.
clive

Post by clive »

Now i am even more confused. Brake lever left hand side? That should be the clutch.
clive
if it ain't broke don't fix
Chris B_LAPSED

Post by Chris B_LAPSED »

Sorry for the confusion Clive. No i meant to say if sitting on the bike the left lever is clutch and right is brake as normal. I was saying it as looking at the bike from the front... sorry about that its been a long week at work.
bitza

Post by bitza »

Sitting on the bike ~ left hand lever clutch and advance retard, right hand lever front brake and air control,choke.

For your headlamp knob and screw try ,

A M C Classic Spares
Or phone them they are very helpful.
Chris B_LAPSED

Post by Chris B_LAPSED »

Correct bitza..

I'll have a look into it more tommorow regards the advance/retard lever but just to confirm under normal/original function to advance the bike do you push the lever to the front of the bike or pull the lever back... ?
bitza

Post by bitza »

Right back is fully retard, normal riding it is pushed fully forward to full advance position.
Chris B_LAPSED

Post by Chris B_LAPSED »

Thanks bitza

So It seems iv been doing it the wrong way round for some reason. When warmed up and riding along iv been having the A/R lever pulled towards me. That explains why it suddenly picked up as soon as I pushed the lever forward towards the front wheel. Lesson learned. 🙄

Post by 1608 »

this is all getting a bit unnecessarily confusing. The a/r lever fitted to your bike is designed to fit on the right side of the h/bars. But, it matters not. Your magneto dictates that the a/r cable should be slack for advanced as the lever is in your photo. But make sure there is a little play in the cable.You only need to retard the ignition alittle for starting. Once started, fully advance the lever and leave it. When you set the timing up the llever should be in the fully advanced position, slack cable.
Groily

Post by Groily »

Quite, and very much so.
Exactly as previously stated, and per 1608's latest post, slack for advance in this case is with the lever pulled back towards you , because it's working in the opposite sense to normal.
If the bike runs better with more retard on it, then the timing is set poorly. It shouldn't.
Revs will rise with advance, drop with retard.
If still in any doubt, look at the other end, the camring end, and observe what is happening.