RMM 520 & NRO 574

Where is that old bike?
Group Leader

RMM 520 & NRO 574

Post by Group Leader »

Does anyone know if either of these are still around. They used to belong to my Dad, who sadly passed away last week, when new.

I wish I had taken more interest in AJs earlier ....

RMM520 was an 18S from about 1951 & NRO574 was a twin.

RMM520 looks identical, with the exception of the front mud guard, to the photograph of VMM 508 posted on this site by Mike Warry (I think).

1953 AJS 16MS, 1939 BSA 250 and a 1/3 scale Sopwith Triplane but that's another story ..... :lol:
lawrence

RMM 520 & NRO 574

Post by lawrence »

Hi Alan
My commiserations about your father, it must be a tough time for you.

If you check out this website you will find that someone recently posted a DVLA website on which you can check out vehicle details so you could easily find out if those bikes still have their original number. sadly, many don't.

Not too late to get involved with Ajays though. Why not mosy along to a section meeting where, if you introduce yourself, you will be made very welcome. You will find many happy memories evoked by the bikes even if they are not your family ones and you will soon understand why your dad loved them.

Take care

Lawrence
Eric

RMM 520 & NRO 574

Post by Eric »

Just to try out the DVLA website I used your two registrations. Sorry to say there appears to be no record. This does not mean however they dont exist, only that they are neither taxed or SORNED. They could still be in a shed or garage somewhere.
Group Leader

RMM 520 & NRO 574

Post by Group Leader »

Thanks for the kind words Lawrence and thanks for the info Eric (coincidently my Dad's name!). Could you give me the address of the the DVLA site used to check registrations please? When ever I have tried before I only seem to get to sites trying to sell registrations for huge sums of money. Some time ago I typed the reg of the single into Google and got a site that told me it was first registered in Edmonton around 51 or 52 which would have been correct. Unfortunately that site seems to have fallen by the wayside.
1953 AJS 16MS, 1939 BSA 250 and a 1/3 scale Sopwith Triplane but that's another story ..... :lol:
RogerJ

RMM 520 & NRO 574

Post by RogerJ »

Eric

RMM 520 & NRO 574

Post by Eric »

RogerJ's link goes to the section for online taxing but I could no longer find how to check a registration I think it have been removed.Edited by - Eric on 21 Dec 2005 7:14:17 PM

Just had a search round for my original posting about the site back in November the site you want is www.vehiclelicence.gov.uk when you get there select "Vehicle Enquiry fro tne menu on the left and follow the instructions.Edited by - Eric on 21 Dec 2005 7:24:23 PM
Merlin

RMM 520 & NRO 574

Post by Merlin »

Well done Eric just tried it on my bike spot on,put the site in favorites for the future
cheers
Stuart
Chemists do it with test tubes
Group Leader

Re: RMM 520 & NRO 574

Post by Group Leader »

Well, it's been a while!

Still no luck tracking down the history of my father's two machines but I'm very pleased to say that I have just begun to tread in his footsteps (should that be ride in his tyre marks?) with the recent acquisition of 1953 16MS :D

Looks good but requires a little bit of routine maintenance (I hope its only that!) before it and I are let loose out on the road. I've already been trawling the forum seeking advice on centre stands and magnetos and fettling has commenced.

Very sorry to see that the passage of time has taken its toll on one of the kind respondents to my original request for information.

Anyway, be gentle on this AJ newbie and I now know why they are called the "Heavyweight Singles"!

Alan
kernow kid

Post by kernow kid »

Welcome back Alan!
Im sure youll find helpful information here as required and I hope you enjoy your AJ
regards kk
Top tip - if it needs more than 2 bolts to hold it on, its probably important...
Group Leader

Post by Group Leader »

Thanks KK.

Couldn't resist a bit of fettling :-) Deformed centre stand re-shaped with the aid of an oxyacetelyene torch and a hydraulic press and it's now functional (needs a lick of paint though), points cleaned and gapped, ignition timing checked and magneto seems to be producing a decent spark on the plug. Carb to clean, oil and petrol pipes to replace and maybe I can see if it goes!

Alan