Oil - again

Information relating to the Matchless G9 or AJS Model 20 500cc twin
Groily

Re: Oil - again

Post by Groily »

Nice (and easier) job on the SR mag Taid, as there's permanent access to the low tension live wire on the outside. A remote stop button is commonly fitted to them by those who don't want to stop the engine using the decompressor on a single.

The only mags it's harder to play with in this regard are face-cam ones (standard version N1s, MO1 magdynos etc).

Bowden cable shaun? I don't think that would be tat easy to contrive. Switches can fail, yup, but most camring mags of most marques used a remote kill switch off a brush or a brass blade wiping the cb centre screw, without a problem and the switches on commercially-made oil taps that I've seen don't look too flimsy. Easy to check them now and then to be sure they're working . . . I know people who switch the oil tap off now and then to be sure it stops the engine!
Trefor

Post by Trefor »

Thanks for all the suggestions for kill switches, but I've gone for the simple - a thin wire rope locking the kick starter to the frame. As long as I remember why it's there...
clive

Post by clive »

Don't do what one club member I know did. Took off the warning symbol reminding him to turn the oil on, at that very moment getting a mobile phone call that required dealing with at some length. Came back and took the newly restored bike out for its test run and came to a stop with one conrod through the side of the crankcase having forgotten that he did not actually turn the oil on.
I have a cutout linked to the mag fitted on one twin. A number of times I have cursed the bike for not starting and realised I had yet to turn the oil on! The supplier of the switch recommended turning the oil off to check the kill is still working. I routinely do this and following some work on the bike I found I had dislodged one of the spade connectors fortunately found before any damage was caused.
clive
if it ain't broke don't fix
Taid

Post by Taid »

My set up is more complex than previously stated ..

The switch on the tap disconnects all electrics including my 'remote' .. I never turn my lights off so if I press the remote, before opening the tap, the lights don't come on and nothing works ..
___

Now sold ... 1956 AJS 16MS Bitsa .. HSU 414 .. rebuilt/re-registered 1987
shaunstaples

Post by shaunstaples »

Taid wrote: Thu Jan 05, 2023 12:21 pm My set up is more complex than previously stated ..

The switch on the tap disconnects all electrics including my 'remote' .. I never turn my lights off so if I press the remote, before opening the tap, the lights don't come on and nothing works ..
That sounds better, if the connection or switch fails then the relay wont switch on the power? fails safe?

I meant a simple bowden cable connected to the valve lever that was fastened to the brush (pulls when oil turned on and slack when oil turned off)
If the cable failed the brush would be connected earthing out the mag, simple but fail safe?