Pancake air filter element

Information relating to the Matchless G85 500cc Heavyweight, AJS 7R, Matchless G45 and Matchless G50
Red Gauntlet

Pancake air filter element

Post by Red Gauntlet »

I have the late style G80CS with the side pancake filter, the PO had fitted it without a rubber gasket* between the casing and the outer plate making it completely ineffective, the element*, which is a corrugated mesh and felt affair is useless and clogged through age, are these parts* available anywhere, I did see that there is a G9/G11 gauze filter available, maybe this will fit with a few mods?
dave16mct

Re: Pancake air filter element

Post by dave16mct »

Why not take it to Halfords and find a car element to fit.
Dave.
Red Gauntlet

Post by Red Gauntlet »

In the light of unobtainable metal gauze filters, I'm going to go with an oiled foam element as the principle reason is to keep the c**p out of a newly built engine, not to keep originality for the sake of it.
mdt-son

Post by mdt-son »

RG, let us know which foam element will fit the air filter housing. I am looking for the same. I'd prefer a filter off some car model (maybe it would require an adaptor), but a foam filter might do also. A foam filter needs more maintenance than a paper element. Are airways inside the air filter housing suitable for a foam filter at all? Axial flow is usually what foam filters are designed for. The original air filter was designed for radial flow, if I remember correctly. Radial air flow allows for much lower air speed, less pressure drop, less suction noise, an a better catch of debris.

- Knut
Red Gauntlet

Post by Red Gauntlet »

I bought a dual density airfilter foam approx 1" thick sheet off the 'bay and cut it up, glued it and added some filter mousse, seems to be ok so far. It was not expensive and fits fine. I tried every place I know including Vokes who made the original but no luck.