1940 Matchless 3gl wiring

Information relating to the Matchless G3 or AJS Model 16 350cc Heavyweight
Autokaci

1940 Matchless 3gl wiring

Post by Autokaci »

Hi all,

I'm thinking of making my own wiring for the 3GL I'm working on and currently piecing bits together. I have the wiring diagram but I have no old wiring at all on bike, so nothing to work on :cry:

Does anyone have exact lengths of each wire needed and how they should be routed along bike pls?

Any help will be much appreciated :bow:

Kaci
jackstringer

Re: 1940 Matchless 3gl wiring

Post by jackstringer »

https://blog.jackstringer.co.uk/my-vehi ... -loom-mk2/

That is my notes from my loom I did to the 1960 one of mine.

There isnt much to it to be honest. I had an old loom to use. I upgraded to 2mm² wire with some 3mm² for battery to chassis etc.

I have still to do the loom for a 1957 AJS.
EddieDay

Post by EddieDay »

Jack,
A great blog. I am tempted to do this as well. I see they are for sale for about £65 but not sure of the quality.
jackstringer

Post by jackstringer »

The Lucas loom is ok and TBH it is better than nothing. I just found it didn't match mine that well so I thought sod it I will make my own.
Autokaci

Post by Autokaci »

Hi Jack,

Thanks for your reply but I need to know what lengths of wire is needed and details as to where wires branch off etc.

I have absolutely no old loom to work off with plus no experience with other bikes as this is my first 😕

Thanks
SPRIDDLER

Post by SPRIDDLER »

Welcome to the Forums.
Where is St Paul's Bag?

I don't know of anyone who has recorded the lengths of their home-made looms. I've dealt with commercial loom makers who have a template board upon which they lay out the wires so you'll probably have to make up yours on the bike wire by wire then sheathe it. The one for your bike is very basic so should be pretty simple to make. I can only advise that the main loom comes from the headlamp and along the frame top tube under the tank, branching off as necessary. On my bikes the wiring to the rear lamp is clipped inside/underneath the mudguard. It probably won't be shown on your wiring diagram but I strongly advise fitting a 10amp inline fuse in either one of the main battery leads.
Club spares supply a variety of looms but you have to be an AMOC paid-up member to order one or any other spares.
See here:
https://www.amoc-parts.com/store/comers ... tegory=118
'There is a tide in the affairs of men
Which taken at the flood............'
Pharisee

Post by Pharisee »

Wiring a bike like the AMC heavyweights isn't as daunting as you may think. I've made the harnesses for all three of mine, plus a couple of Meriden Triumphs. I fitted nonstandard parts like electronic ignition (on the Triumphs), solid state rectifier/regulators or dynamo regulators and also turn indicators on the AMC machine, so buying a ready made harness was not a lot of use. I tend not to use the old rubber covered bullet connectors as I've found that they tend to corrode quickly. I use gold plated multi-pin connectors as used on modern machines. But then again, I ride my machines, not trailer them about to shows, so reliability takes priority over originality. I don't use the frame or any other tin-ware for the ground return. All ground return is by cable direct to the battery. It wasn't Joe Lucas that was the problem with failed electrics, it was the vehicle manufacturers that used the frame/bodywork with rusty connections as part of the circuit. All the necessary cables and connectors are available readily available. Work logically and you'll be ok, I'm sure.
I'm from the Fens.... Gimme six.
Ralph

Post by Ralph »

I use 7 or 13 core trailer wire as a starting point and make it up as I go along.
Ralph