1951 AJS 18s

General purpose topics/chat goes in here
Paul 500

1951 AJS 18s

Post by Paul 500 »

Hi All, new to you all, so I have a question that I would love to ask and see where or what I will find .....Last month I started my Ajay and on tickover for about 30 seconds, there was a clunk and she stopped dead. On inspection the Dynamo chain had broken and tangled up with the primary chain . Both had no split link, anyway.... New chains fitted and adjusted . However, now there is a stiff point in the kick over cycle , so there must be something bent !!!! mmmmm, Has anyone had this issue, or can tell me what I can expect to find or where to start from now????????

Thanks Cheers Paul 500
SPRIDDLER

Re: 1951 AJS 18s

Post by SPRIDDLER »

Paul 500 wrote: Mon Apr 08, 2024 9:02 pm Hi All, new to you all, so I have a question that I would love to ask and see where or what I will find .....Last month I started my Ajay and on tickover for about 30 seconds, there was a clunk and she stopped dead. On inspection the Dynamo chain had broken and tangled up with the primary chain . Both had no split link, anyway.... New chains fitted and adjusted . However, now there is a stiff point in the kick over cycle , so there must be something bent !!!! mmmmm, Has anyone had this issue, or can tell me what I can expect to find or where to start from now????????
Welcome to the club forums.
The break is usually/almost always caused by the two chains clashing.
Correct lateral alignment of the dynamo is absolutely critical. Ensure it is in the correct position according to the alignment strip or if it's missing fit or make one which you can use after the outer chaincase has been fitted (e.g. when adjusting the dynamo chain tension later).
The stiffness may be due to chain tight spots or the chains may again be clashing.
in my experience there's always a bit of a tight spot in the primary chain which I've not worried about if I could ease it by slackening the chain but it depends upon how much slack you need in the chain to get rid of the tight spot. If it's the dynamo chain that has a tight spot it'll be the dynamo armature that's bent. If it's the primary chain that has an unacceptable tight spot then the worst case is that the g/box mainshaft is bent.
After adjusting the primary chain you should check/adjust the secondary (drive) chain.
Here's the dynamo alignment strip:
Dynamo alignment plate 2.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
'There is a tide in the affairs of men
Which taken at the flood............'