64 G3 tyre pressures

Helpful information and requests for assitance and advice
Roy Plowman

64 G3 tyre pressures

Post by Roy Plowman »

Think I should have put this here rather than in Frequent Questions, so will repeat -
Oh no it's a tyre pressure question....
Morning folks - a first-time AMC owner here; recent buyer of a '64 G3 which so far seems in excellent roadworthy condition, mechanically.
But - the tyres were 22 year old TT100s, which were thoroughly cracked, and have been replaced with Mitas H06, 3.25 and 3.50, which will be fine for the use I'll put it to. I'm running them at 24 front and 28 rear as I can't find any guidance anywhere - I'm guessing that's about right?
TIA
dave16mct

Re: 64 G3 tyre pressures

Post by dave16mct »

Those pressures may be OK for those tyres. How does it feel on the road? I use Avon Speedmasters and usually put 28 in the front and 30 in the rear which seems OK for me. If the pressure in the front is too low I find it turns in on slow corners and wanders a bit. Modern tyres have softer side walls so need higher pressures.
Dave
SPRIDDLER

Post by SPRIDDLER »

Welcome to the Club, Roy. :beer:
I think most folk use as a starting point about 28/30 give or take a few p.s.i. E.g. A bit higher rear than front. Depends on the weight carried (pillion, camping gear, your pie consumption etc.) and feel of the bike at different pressures.
If you search these forums with the words Tyre+pressure using the spyglass symbol top right you'll get 24 pages where tyres and pressures are mentioned but 28/30 is about right.

See the the link below
search.php?keywords=tyre%2Bpressures&te ... mit=Search
Last edited by SPRIDDLER on Sat Apr 20, 2024 7:42 pm, edited 2 times in total.
'There is a tide in the affairs of men
Which taken at the flood............'
Roy Plowman

Post by Roy Plowman »

Thanks folks - I tried 'tyre pressures' which didn't get me far!
SPRIDDLER

Post by SPRIDDLER »

Roy Plowman wrote: Sat Apr 20, 2024 1:24 pm Thanks folks - I tried 'tyre pressures' which didn't get me far!
You need to put the search term exactly like this with no spaces:

tyre+pressure

In that form you will get only those threads where the words 'tyre' and 'pressure' are mentioned.
I you put tyre pressures you will get every thread where 'tyre' is mentioned and every thread where 'pressures' is mentioned (e.g. cylinder pressures etc). ;) Inevitably, threads wander off topic so it's always good to ask on here as someone will always be willing to help.
'There is a tide in the affairs of men
Which taken at the flood............'
Roy Plowman

Post by Roy Plowman »

FYI I settled on 27f 30r - to recap that's with 3.25 18 front and 3.50 18 rear Mitas H06, and I weigh around 73kg or 11 1/2 stone in old money.
With 28 in the front tyre the bike felt like it was on tiptoes! Amazing the difference 1lb can make...