1961 G3 Starting.

Helpful information and requests for assitance and advice
Ianwilko13

1961 G3 Starting.

Post by Ianwilko13 »

My Matchless G3 seems perfect, except starting from cold is a little fussy? the 6 volt battery is of the dry cell type and shows 6.1 volts but never any more even after charging. If riding 25 miles the ampmeter still shows charge going to the battery? If I start my bike in the emergency position from cold it fires up immediately, does this mean my battery is no good or is this a characteristic of the dry cell type? Having worked in battery manufacturing for 20+ years (Tungstone Batteries) I prefer the lead acid type, which type/size would be best for the G3, kind regards, Ian.
Screenshot_20240420_093256_Chrome.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
SPRIDDLER

Re: 1961 G3 Starting.

Post by SPRIDDLER »

Ianwilko13 wrote: Sat Apr 20, 2024 10:34 am My Matchless G3 seems perfect, except starting from cold is a little fussy? the 6 volt battery is of the dry cell type and shows 6.1 volts but never any more even after charging.
I have exactly the same Cyclon battery on my G3LS. The battery is now 14 years old (yes, really) and hasn't been charged or used for 6 months. I've just checked it and it is still reading 6.08V. Even when fully charged it doesn't read much higher. They are capable of delivering a very high current, far greater than required for your ignition circuit so I don't think the battery is the issue. However, as you probably know, the open circuit voltage of a battery doesn't necessarily reflect the health of a battery or how it will perform under a load.
If riding 25 miles the ampmeter still shows charge going to the battery?
How much charge is it showing? Less than 5 amps? There isn't necessarily a charge a going into the battery; it's merely compensating for the drain of the ignition circuit.
All ammeters are pretty rubbish, rarely accurate and are really just a crude 'Go'/'No-go' device.
If I start my bike in the emergency position from cold it fires up immediately, does this mean my battery is no good or is this a characteristic of the dry cell type?
If you have a battery charger capable of delivering a couple of amps leave it connected to the battery when you try to start the bike and see if that improves starting.
I would be more inclined to look for a corroded/poor battery connections or in the wiring or the switch - maybe give the switch a squirt of switch cleaner.

P.S. I'm a battery man too! Duracell Europe for 15 years :thumbup:

Here's my 14 year old Cyclon ......(!)
2019-11-20 Burlen 6V battery 009 (640x480).jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by SPRIDDLER on Sat Apr 20, 2024 1:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
'There is a tide in the affairs of men
Which taken at the flood............'
Ianwilko13

Post by Ianwilko13 »

Hi Neville and thanks for the reply, my set up looks a bit shabby compared to yours :lol: but did about 50 miles last week and included is the voltage shown today (had to hold the earth probe in my teeth to operate the camera) these are new technology to me so I'm old and dubious :rofl: kind regards, Ian.
20240420_120457.jpg
20240420_120750.jpg
limeyrob

Post by limeyrob »

Since its firing up on emerg I would be looking for a reason why there's low volts on normal ign. Could be the battery is dropping under load (but its not a big load) or a poor connection in the loom or switch. I think I'd clean the switch contacts then work back to the battery and coil.
SPRIDDLER

Post by SPRIDDLER »

Ianwilko13 wrote: Sat Apr 20, 2024 12:24 pm (had to hold the earth probe in my teeth to operate the camera)
:lol: I only have my left had and arm useable and can change a double duvet cover so no sympathy from me!

5.95V is a bit low after a run (I'm assuming you have the standard set up and not a retro-fit electronic ignition system which needs full voltage to work at its best.
Tayna Batteries price and delivery is good but ensure that the battery's dims fit your space.
Last edited by SPRIDDLER on Sat Apr 20, 2024 3:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Ianwilko13

Post by Ianwilko13 »

Found this at Toolstation (down the road) £12.99 worth a try?? Ian.
Screenshot_20240420_142332_Chrome.jpg
SPRIDDLER

Post by SPRIDDLER »

Yuasa batteries have a reliable reputation but I don't think that a capacity of 4Ah would be ideal for your coil ignition bike. It would run the ignition but it would probably go flat with lights on and town driving and then start misfiring.
The battery you show may be intended for fire alarm standby.

Disclaimer.
All my bikes have had magneto ignitions and the relatively feeble dynamos rather than coil ignition and the better performing alternator so others my be able to advise better from their own experience.
Ianwilko13

Post by Ianwilko13 »

Thanks for the advice Neville, I think something like this (pictured) is what I need, as that's what I used on a previously owned G12cs kind regards, Ian.
Screenshot_20240420_141416_Chrome.jpg
Screenshot_20240420_160459_Gallery.jpg
Duncan

Post by Duncan »

Beware that many online led acid batteries are delivered without acid these days (hence so many sealed batteries these days), you may do better to go to an outlet local to yourself to get one.
Ianwilko13

Post by Ianwilko13 »

Thanks Duncan, I cannot remember where I ordered the last one from but the acid arrived with it but not in the battery, when you say 6 volt they look at you gone out :rofl: I'm in South Leicestershire 10 miles from Kettering there must be somewhere local-ish kind regards, Ian.