Tyre pump on 1960 G3

Helpful information and requests for assitance and advice
Expat

Tyre pump on 1960 G3

Post by Expat »

Not sure if this should be in the wanted section but I’m a bit gutted that most of the presumably original pump fitted on the bike has escaped somewhere on the road and can’t be found. :cry: Does anyone know where or if an original type could be found as I’m keen to replace it, even with a look alike.
Thanks
Keep shiny side up.

These are my principles, if you don’t like them, I have others. (Groucho Marx)

Re: Tyre pump on 1960 G3

Post by 1608 »

Why bother, if they don't fall off they get nicked. If you are prepared to fix a puncture at the road-side you are better off with a double action bicycle pump.
Expat

Re: Tyre pump on 1960 G3

Post by Expat »

John, I definitely didn’t look forward to using the pump in anger, well not for pumping up flat tyres anyway but feel that as it had stayed with the bike for the last sixty four years, it was a shame that most of it had simply fallen off and disappeared, thus some original equipment was lost despite adding a cable tie that was supposed to add security against loss.

The weirdest thing about it is that on arriving home after a short local ride, the pump cylinder had got wedged upside down between the oil tank and swinging arm, held on still by the cable tie, with the working end gone and the open end of the cylinder wedged up against the rear wheel hub plate adjacent to the speedo drive. The wheel hub is quite badly scored across its face as it rotated with the pump wedged against it!
There’s very little road traffic around here so I thought it worth a search and off I went to look for the missing parts. Fifty yards from the house laying in the middle of the road was the flexible adapter connector that normally lives in the handle end of the pump, pressed up against the upper attachment point by the internal pump spring.

No sign anywhere on the route taken of the pump handle, spring or washer etc. What happened and how did the adapter connector hang on somewhere before finally ending up in the road on its own :?: :?:
Destined to remain one of life’s mysteries and the damage to the wheel hub is not going to buff out. ;)

Answers on a postcard……
Keep shiny side up.

These are my principles, if you don’t like them, I have others. (Groucho Marx)