Fuel Tap OCD

Information relating to the Matchless G11 or AJS Model 30 600cc twin
SimonB

Fuel Tap OCD

Post by SimonB »

I had a leaking reserve fuel tap so replaced that last year. Now the other tap is leaking so replaced that yesterday. On both I used a dowty washer of the same thickness and find they seal well. When I fitted the reserve it tightened up nicely so was pointing directly forwards/backwards with the on/off slide. As you can see in the photo the tap I did yesterday is as tight as I would want to do it but the angle of the tap is at about 45 degrees?
It seals and works fine but is playing havoc with my ocd! Why would one tighten up so nice and straight and the other at an angle? For good measure I put some hydromar blue on the thread to help sealing (as I did on the other tap). Surely this would not bulk up the thread enough to reduce how much it screws in? To tighten and straighten the tap anymore would require too much force and run the risk of stripping the thread.
Look forward to any thoughts...
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
SPRIDDLER

Re: Fuel Tap OCD

Post by SPRIDDLER »

Add an additional (fibre?) washer?
'There is a tide in the affairs of men
Which taken at the flood............'
shaunstaples

Post by shaunstaples »

I have the same allergy! I lost my Dads box of dowty & fibre washers when I did mine, so I sent for some, the casing on them is like the aluminium crush type sump washers. 1st 2 used, I went too mad and went past but third one came good! Not really sure if was the washers or me that was inconsistent?
limeyrob

Post by limeyrob »

You can make up a Dowty clone with a larger washer and O ring inside. Play with washer thicknesses until you get it right then put the matching O ring in. I got a box of assorted O rings years ago and it paid for itself 10x over.
AndrewM

Post by AndrewM »

I had the same problem but managed to sort through my collection of old washers until I found a thin steel washer with exactly the right inside diameter to change the orientation of the tap by 45 degrees. OCD relieved!

I think it’s important not to put any washers, fibre or otherwise, between the Dowty washer and the tank. Let the Dowty washer do the sealing, then add spacing washers between it and the fuel tap.
SimonB

Post by SimonB »

Thanks for the replies, I’ve got an assortment of fibre washers so I’ll have a play! Will I need to remove the hydrometer blue if I unscrew it or will it be ok as it never actually fully sets?
g5wqian

Post by g5wqian »

hi Simon ;
get some loctite 577 pipe sealant to use on the tap threads then set the tap in position .
it should hold it firm enough so the tap wont turn unless you put a large spanner on it .
i use various washers from copper to aluminium to fibre and can usually find one of the right thickness that will allow me to get the tap somewhere handy and then just needing the loctite 577 on it all to fully seal and make it tight so it wont turn easily .
you will be able to get it undone again if you really need to , it sets firm but not rock hard .
ian
SimonB

Post by SimonB »

Thanks all! Next problem is the new taps bloody leaking from the on/off slide! Bought from amoc last July but only just got round to fitting. They’ve suggested replacing the cork in slider with ethanol proof seal that they sell. Would have hoped a new tap would work in the first place…
SPRIDDLER

Post by SPRIDDLER »

SimonB wrote: Thu May 02, 2024 8:02 pm Thanks all! Next problem is the new taps bloody leaking from the on/off slide! Bought from amoc last July but only just got round to fitting. They’ve suggested replacing the cork in slider with ethanol proof seal that they sell. Would have hoped a new tap would work in the first place…
I've had taps leak after being on a shed shelf for a while but the leak has always stopped after a couple of days when the petrol causes the cork to swell a bit. If you can't avoid the drips going everywhere take the tap off and let it soak in a jar of petrol.
'There is a tide in the affairs of men
Which taken at the flood............'
SimonB

Post by SimonB »

Yeah it’s been on for 4 days and still leaking so I may soak in petrol as you suggest before buying new seals. I didn’t even know you could take them apart. Bit of a learning curve going on!