Electronic ignition

General purpose topics/chat goes in here
Left Coast

Re: Electronic ignition

Post by Left Coast »

Hi All, I am not sure the problem is the ThorSpark. When I first installed it, on the Spring Twin, it ran perfect then the it would miss occasionally. I thought it might be the coil so I changed it to two Lucas coils and it runs but still misses on both cylinders. I put an electronic timing light on the plug wires and you can see it runs fine then a hiccup, the timing light goes dark then fires up again. This happens on both cylinders.

I have asked Andy at ThorSpark to send me a new trigger (which I would pay for) but he seems to insist on me sending him my old one to test. Trouble with that is I miss riding the bike for who knows how long (I am in Canada). After many emails, with only one response, and two telephone calls I still cannot get him to send me one !! I even sent him payment via PayPal but of course he does not take it.

Any suggestions on solving my problem.

Stephen
Ralph

Post by Ralph »

The ThorSpark kit seems to like a very good separate earth may be worth a try if you haven't already.
Ralph

spookefoote1956

Post by spookefoote1956 »

You do need a good, modern strength, earth.
Hail Joe Lucas ............ Prince of Darkness!
All my bikes are original........ to me!
"Creativity is your intelligence having fun" Albert Einstein
SPRIDDLER

Post by SPRIDDLER »

......and a good battery that's well charged. I've never used electronic ignition. All my bikes have had magnetos which have never let me down and I wouldn't even contemplate changing to electronic ignition. At least with a mag you get early warning of its weakening with difficulty starting when hot but I've never had one just fail completely.
Besides, there's a hint of romantic alchemy about a self-energising spark generator.
'There is a tide in the affairs of men
Which taken at the flood............'
Left Coast

Re: Electronic ignition 1956 600 Model 30

Post by Left Coast »

Hi All, I did call Chris at Thorspark today and he refused to sell me a trigger unit despite having sent me an email quoting the cost and shipping, seems he has changed his mind and wants me to return the suspect unit for testing. The inconvenience and shipping costs (I am in Canada) far out way the cost of a new trigger (£35). Chris should take a leaf out of Amazon's book on customer relations !
Does anybody have a Thorspark trigger unit for my AJ, surplus to their needs, so I can try an sort out my ignition?

Thanks
spookefoote1956

Post by spookefoote1956 »

I found him quite difficult to deal with
Hail Joe Lucas ............ Prince of Darkness!
All my bikes are original........ to me!
"Creativity is your intelligence having fun" Albert Einstein