Back Wheel Assembly Heavyweight and Speedo

Information relating to the Matchless G3 or AJS Model 16 350cc Heavyweight
anthonybates

Back Wheel Assembly Heavyweight and Speedo

Post by anthonybates »

PLEASE HELP:

my 1955 Matchless G3L s 350 heavyweight Speedo has snapped my speedo cable and is spinning freely, this is now the 3rd time I have attempted to rebuild it. I spoke to someone at the Classic Motorcycle show in Stafford but cant remember his name and we ordered a list of parts, but there are differing instructions about on how to install the parts included. He also said there was a different kit i may have been able to order. does anyone know what this is, or a part number please?

I rode a few miles and had the same issue with the Speedo spinning and cable snapping, is there a definitive way to assemble the rear hub and can someone help me with part numbers to order again please.

I have been in the technical section / cycle parts / heavyweight section and printed the documents available and just would like to put my bike back together.

Are there any wise owls out there that can advise me.

Cheers Anthony.
SPRIDDLER

Re: Back Wheel Assembly Heavyweight and Speedo

Post by SPRIDDLER »

Welcome to the forums!
Some of the factory manual illustrations are incorrect.
Is this any help?
Rear hub assy numbered more clearly.jpg
Rear wheel assy parts list.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
'There is a tide in the affairs of men
Which taken at the flood............'
g80csp11

Post by g80csp11 »

The important thing is to make sure that the adjuster is free all the way in the bub thread , before reassembly and to follow the order shown in the cut away above
It was me you spoke to at Stafford , and the list o gave you was for the missing parts from the bits you had with you

Hopefully the section picture will make reassembly easier

Peter
clive

Post by clive »

The important thing to note is that on the left hand side the oil seal (3) fits within the cup (2) but on the right hand side it abuts against it. However a wrong order is not the only cause of this fault. If the worm drive in the speedo gearbox is worn it can operate normally but occasionally jam as the most worn sections line up. If you have one of these failures I would recommend changing the drivebox or at the very least to check the worm drive for wear. The flat end caps on the early drive boxes unscrew and the torpedo end of the later ones have to be prised off.
clive
if it ain't broke don't fix
anthonybates

Post by anthonybates »

Thanks so much for the information, definitely some things to study and order, appreciate this so much
anthonybates

Post by anthonybates »

The important thing is to make sure that the adjuster is free all the way in the bub thread , before reassembly and to follow the order shown in the cut away above
It was me you spoke to at Stafford , and the list o gave you was for the missing parts from the bits you had with you

Hopefully the section picture will make reassembly easier

Peter

Thanks Peter, you mentioned about another Kit?
g80csp11

Post by g80csp11 »

There was a bearing cassette manufactured by Andrews Engineering for rear wheel bearing replacement , ive never seen one but maybe Steve at AMC classic spares has them . However you should be able to get the original parts to work if you follow the cut away picture . the problem is usually incorrect seal positioning on the speedo drive side
McMaz

Post by McMaz »

Not sure if it applies in this case but replacement Smith’s speedo drives are thicker than the originals. See http://timelessmotorcycles.co.uk/html/drives.html -
"The Smiths reference numbers for the above were BG.5330 to BG.5333 and had a body thickness of .895 inches. These types of drives replaced BG.5101 and BG.5103 which had a body thickness of .802 inches
Earlier 52283/50-88 type drives were much thinner so the later types may not always fit.
When replacing the earlier type with the latest type the correct thickness spaces must be used so as not to exert too much pressure on the gearbox casing causing damage to the drive gears".
Sean
56G80S

Post by 56G80S »

Care also needs taking about the order of tightening but you'll already know that. I fitted a new speedo gearbox from Feked simply because the Club didn't have any bored to the right size for the G80S at the time. I felt there was a tight/rough spot when turning manually on the one I received and despite their belief that it would be fine, Feked were understanding and replaced it. No problems at all so far maybe 2.5-3k since fitting.

Johnny B