G11 Wont start - help required

Helpful information and requests for assitance and advice
MalcW

Re: G11 Wont start - help required

Post by MalcW »

Definitely worth rechecking the pilot jet. Also, is it possible that the original timing was correct and now it isn't (we'll gloss over how I know about that...)? My 650 is very sensitive to the points gap being correct on the magneto. Does it fire at all?

Malc
MartinAmes

Post by MartinAmes »

Won't fire at all.
Rechecked the points gap is at 12 thou.

Looked at the timing for hours, and read the manual several times, as i could not understand how it could be out.
Timing was about 3/8 inch after TDC rather than 3/8 inch before TDC, so i checked loads of times that i was turning the engine the right way, that i was on the right stroke, that i measured it correctly, that the slip ring was fully advanced, before i went about changing it.

It has been absolutely fine for years, never needed to touch it, just started up fine. This year is a nightmare.
MartinAmes

Post by MartinAmes »

Sorted.
Thanks to reading a post about the magneto between magnusk750 and Groily, it was mentioned that when timing the ignition using the offside cyclinder, that it is the bottom ramp of the slip ring that fires the offside spark plug.
Of course I had it the wrong way round and used the top slope of the slip ring.
Anyway not wanting to take off the timing cover again, just swapped the plugs leads around and it started up straight away.
After re reading the instruction book again it does say the lower cam hump is for the offside plug.

Thanks to everyone that offered help.
Groily

Post by Groily »

MartinAmes wrote: Wed May 22, 2024 7:39 pm Sorted.
. . . it was mentioned that when timing the ignition using the offside cyclinder, that it is the bottom ramp of the slip ring that fires the offside spark plug.
Of course I had it the wrong way round and used the top slope of the slip ring.
Anyway not wanting to take off the timing cover again, just swapped the plugs leads around and it started up straight away.
After re reading the instruction book again it does say the lower cam hump is for the offside plug.

Thanks to everyone that offered help.
Glad it's sorted.
Actually, it's not the plug / cylinder that matters (as long as you've identified which one is on the compression stroke) - it's the fact that the lower lobe on the camring fires the rear, g'box side pick-up.
I usually go to the off-side plug from it myself (and some books suggest that too as you rightly say) but I know lots of people who prefer the opposite. We're a contrary lot!
clive

Post by clive »

Now you have reset the timing is it set to the correct cylinder?
clive
if it ain't broke don't fix
MartinAmes

Post by MartinAmes »

Clive. No set to the wrong cylinder, but swapped plug leads over. No point in opening up the timing cover again.
MalcW

Post by MalcW »

Groily wrote: Wed May 22, 2024 9:44 pm I usually go to the off-side plug from it myself (and some books suggest that too as you rightly say) but I know lots of people who prefer the opposite. We're a contrary lot!
Is that the French off-side plug or the British off-side plug? :)

Malc
Groily

Post by Groily »

Depends which way the bike's facing! If I've reversed into the shed ... Usually I use 'timing' and 'drive' side, to avoid any of that though - 0yyyand Timing = Off (literally sometimes!)