Heavy wet sumping

Information relating to the Matchless G9 or AJS Model 20 500cc twin
magnusk750

Re: Heavy wet sumping

Post by magnusk750 »

I will fit the rotating distributor. Hole in that one is strangely small. Can't imagine how all oil that is rising about 20 cm against gravity into four different places is supposed to go through a 1,2 mm hole, but if that's what Plumstead rd engineers thought was the right thing I'll stick to that, for a start.
magnusk750

Re: Heavy wet sumping

Post by magnusk750 »

Update on the goings: I've drilled out the jet in place, with shivering hands. That went fine, had grease on the drill bit and cleaned for a long time afterwards with (smoking) pipe cleaner. Checked that if swarf should by chance remain in the oil channel, then theoretically it will end up in the crank house. Today, two days later I drained the crank house from wet sumping oil. It was like half a litre or so, and I did indeed find one little dot of aluminium in the oil. My plan was to start the engine, but now I think I'll wait. Will pump oil into it from the oil distributor side, probably a few times, and then let it stand for a while. Basically, a tiny tiny swarf of aluminium or brass shouldn't be a problem for the oil pump, but I'm not in a hurry, and better safe than sorry.