Jampot damping restoration - what's needed?

Helpful information and requests for assitance and advice
Chazzyb

Re: Jampot damping restoration - what's needed?

Post by Chazzyb »

ajscomboman wrote: Fri May 17, 2024 1:14 pm You won't want to go down the Ikon route. I did it a couple of months ago with the sole UK agent and it was 12wk turn around and the cost was £495+VAT
Eek! :shock:
Charles
Chazzyb

Post by Chazzyb »

I'm baulking at the thought of £600 for a pair of Ikon inserts. I could have a trick Ohlins shock for my BMW for that price. Both jampots still have a valve and seat in the damper tube, I guess there's not a whole lot of room for improvement. So once I have new seals on hand (one is leaking), I'll reassemble and nail them back on the bike and pretend it never happened. :?

Thanks all.
Charles
SPRIDDLER

Post by SPRIDDLER »

Chazzyb wrote: Thu May 16, 2024 6:09 pm I removed and stripped one this afternoon. Damper valve and seat still there. So I reassembled and refilled. I'll do the other tomorrow.
Was there any oil in them when you stripped them? If not, then there's the reason that the damping was non-existent (as you have no doubt realised).
Should be a lot better with oil in and you'll have 600 quid to spend on pies.
'There is a tide in the affairs of men
Which taken at the flood............'
Chazzyb

Post by Chazzyb »

SPRIDDLER wrote: Fri May 17, 2024 5:13 pm Was there any oil in them when you stripped them? If not, then there's the reason that the damping was non-existent (as you have no doubt realised).
Surprisingly, yes. Mainly as I'd only changed the oil in them a few weeks ago and rode only 100 yards or so since. :rofl:
Charles
EddieDay

Post by EddieDay »

The jampots on my '54 G3LS project bike are totally knackered so I bought all the seals and the leather spring seats from the Club spares shop. The issue I have is that the outer tubes are so pitted that I don't think the seals will be oil tight. I am considering asking someone to metal spray and grind them. An alternative is to get a good 1 1/8" fork stanchion and have it machined to replace the jampot outer tubes, which are the same diameter.
I found a good article called "Rebuild those Leaky Jampots" that was originally published in Motorcycle Mechanics. I think I have attached it.
Jampot_Rebuilding.pdf
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Left Coast

Post by Left Coast »

Hi is there any way to adjust the damping or is it simply to change the grade of oil?
Lefty
Chazzyb

Post by Chazzyb »

Left Coast wrote: Fri May 24, 2024 4:47 pm Hi is there any way to adjust the damping or is it simply to change the grade of oil?
Lefty
Adjust the damping? :lol:

I have put 40W oil in mine only this afternoon! I don't hold great hopes for it making a significant improvement.
Charles
Brian 54G80S

Post by Brian 54G80S »

Ikon are an Aussie company and yes, they still do inserts to suit Jampots but they are very expensive. Expect to pay A$700 plus shipping. Last time I checked with them they had nil stock but it only takes them a week or so to build a set.