1951 G9 Electrics

Information relating to the Matchless G9 or AJS Model 20 500cc twin
ChrisD200

1951 G9 Electrics

Post by ChrisD200 »

Hi guys, I wonder if you can advise. Finally got my 1951 G9 on the road (bought in running order and rebuilt ~10 years ago but not registered). The battery was connected with positive earth but the Matchless Workshop Manual for twins (AMC, FW Neill) says that the 1950-51 G9 should be negative earth. If I fit the battery with correct polarity, the ammeter goes off scale after 1000rpm even though the battery has been on charge for hours. If I disconnect the battery and leave the wires unattached, everything works as it did before, starts, runs, lights brighten by ~1000rpm etc.
So I have 3 questions: (1) what damage can occur if the battery is connected with wrong polarity? (2) what ammeter charge should I see once the battery is charged up? (3) what does the battery actually do? The bike is apparently bog-standard but the magneto has been rewired. Any advice welcomed. Thanks Chris (from Cape Town)
matman

1951 G9 Electrics

Post by matman »

Hello Chris,

as far as I know, 1950 was the only year of the AMC-range with negative-earth electrics. From late 1950 on (September? October?) the production of the next year´s models should have started.

If your bike was produced in late 1950, it "officially" is from 1951 production; this could explain why it is wired positive earth again.

Cheers, and regards to the Cape (where I spent one of my most enjoyable holidays)! JanEdited by - matman on 25 Mar 2008 10:32:58 AM
GSAX1

1951 G9 Electrics

Post by GSAX1 »

Hi Chris.

quote: (1) what damage can occur if the battery is connected with wrong polarity? (2) what ammeter charge should I see once the battery is charged up? (3) what does the battery actually do?

(1) If you have an electronic voltage regulator then it could be destroyed. If you have the standard mechanical regulator then no damage should occur.

(2) Once the battery is charged up the ammeter will go to zero.

(3) The battery stores energy to be used when dynamo is not charging enough.

Hope this helps.

Michael
paul knapp

1951 G9 Electrics

Post by paul knapp »

G'day Chris, while this doesn't answer your questions, it is worth reading to perhaps have a better understanding of your generator and good for future reference.
http://members.aol.com/PODtronics/generators.html
Paul
___“As a hobby for the technically minded, motorcycling provides great scope.”

J.B.Nicholson

Don't worry about the world coming to an end today. It's already tomorrow in Australia!