Ignition Switch - Matchless G9

Information relating to the Matchless G9 or AJS Model 20 500cc twin
shufty

Post by shufty »

Finally got my G9 (1960) up and running after 30 years of living in cardboard boxes.....

Daft question of the day -

On my ignition switch there are no markings to indicate the three settings i.e Normal/Off/Emergency. The middle setting is obviously off, but which is "normal" - do I turn the switch clockwise or anticlockwise? - the bike runs on either setting, but I don't want to be running around on the wrong setting if I can avoid it.

I've run a test-meter over the switch and checked the wiring diagram, but is there someone who can simply tell me, from looking at their own machine..... do I turn the switch to the left or to the right!

Thanks

Shufty
Eric

Post by Eric »

The alternator charging system uses the lighting and ignition switches as a means of controlling and directing the output from the alternator.

When the ignition switch is turned to Emergency and the lights are turned off, all of the alternator output is directed to the ignition coil and in theory it should be possible to start the engine even if the battery is flat (discharged). If and when the engine starts using this method it should then be possible to switch rapidly to the Normal position and the battery will then get a charging current from the alternator.

If the engine is not running and the switch is turned to the Normal position a good battery supplies current to the ignition coil and the ammeter should show a discharge, until the engine is started and begins to charge the battery. So you need to turn the switch to the position that shows a discharge when I go to the garage I will check the bike.

In the off position nothing happens.Edited by - Eric on 15 Jul 2008 12:04:34 PM
paul knapp

Post by paul knapp »

When wired up correctly, clockwise for ignition, anti clockwise for emergency start.
___“As a hobby for the technically minded, motorcycling provides great scope.”

J.B.Nicholson

Don't worry about the world coming to an end today. It's already tomorrow in Australia!

shufty

Post by shufty »

Thanks Eric/Paul,

Clockwise it is then.

Do I need to worry about the fact that the ammeter shows a discharge whichever direction I throw the switch?

Shufty

Edited by - shufty on 15 Jul 2008 2:14:08 PM
Eric

Post by Eric »

Dont know is the short answer I had thought the battery was switched out of circuit when using the Emergency position so it should not show a discharge, but I could be wrong.

It would take sometime for me to work it out from the wiring diagrams or for someone with the same bike known to be correctly wired to check.
moley

Post by moley »

my es2 ( same setup) shows a discharge on both emergency and ignition with a fully charged battery. andy
shufty

Post by shufty »

Thanks for the help everyone.