removal of dynamo

Information relating to the Matchless G9 or AJS Model 20 500cc twin
bobster

removal of dynamo

Post by bobster »

hi i have a 1952 g9 500 twin i need to take off dynamo as its only putting out 2.5 volts its located at front of engine ,how do iget it off and are there any seals to replace thanks
Biscuit
Deceased

removal of dynamo

Post by Biscuit »

In the face of the timing cover you will see a hexagon sleeve nut, undo and remove, remove the dynamo end cap or wrap around thingy depending on type, and disconnect the cables, Slacken the long nut on the clamp and by dint of pulling and careful twisting( remember there is a stud into the timing case) the dynamo will come out. You will need a cork seal 014141. If the dynamo has seen much service it is worth femoving the driving gear and renewing the oil seal. DONT lose the spacer upon which the oil seal sits as I believe they are unavailable. Bearing in mind you have clamps/fasteners working at right anges care needs to be taken when replacing.

bobster

removal of dynamo

Post by bobster »

thank you for the swift reply, thats very helpful regards rob. where would we be with out biscuit
bobster

removal of dynamo

Post by bobster »

hi again thanks to bicuit the dynamo is now off , have taken it apart all looks ok no pitting ect the field winding is not very magnetic brushes and com look ok still only 2.5 volts can someone tell me what i need to rel
place. thanks rob.
itma

removal of dynamo

Post by itma »

The field winding is not magnetic, nor is any part of the dynamo. except that is when its got current making it an electro-magnet.

At least I think thats right.
Biscuit
Deceased

removal of dynamo

Post by Biscuit »

The dynamo relies on residual magnetism in the field coil to wake it up, little or no residual magnetism and nothing happens. The magnetism can be regained either by running at fairly high revs or flashing the field with a lead from the live side o0f the battery. Thats assuming there is nothing else amiss, have look here:-

http://archives.jampot.dk/

Technical-electrical-Lucas service sheets.

Edited by - Biscuit on 16 Aug 2008 09:23:09 AMEdited by - Biscuit on 16 Aug 2008 09:26:47 AM