Heavy Clutch

Information relating to the Matchless G9 or AJS Model 20 500cc twin
jamster

Heavy Clutch

Post by jamster »

Its probably been mentioned before but i thought i would still mention it again.
I got my ajs m20 500 twin recently and the previous owner had passed away leaving the bike on a ramp being worked on. This has meant i had several jobs to do and a good check over to see what else may need seeing to. A some what unknown state of rebuild you could say.
As a rider of modern bikes you could not help notice how heavy the clutch seemed which i could have lived with but it did not seem right. I checked the cable and the cable routing and these were fine. A friend of mine mentioned that he did not think the cable should have an adjuster on both ends just at the gearbox end. Upon investigation of this i found out that the levers should measure 7/8 of an inch from the cable nipple to the lever pivot point and if it is longer than this ( mine were an inch) the clutch will be heavy.
I ordered two new levers (doherty) and cables for the bike and have fitted them and the difference is amazing. That small 1/8 of an inch has made the clutch action so light its got to be one of the main things to check to make sure you`ve got the right ones on there.
The guy at AMC who sold me the levers said people don`t believe it will make that much difference untill they actually buy and fit them.
So best advise is measure what you`ve got and if its longer than 7/8 treat yourself to a nice light clutch action