NEW EXHAUST PIPES...WHERE FROM?

Information relating to the Matchless G12 or AJS Model 31 650cc twin
Les Howard

Re: NEW EXHAUST PIPES...WHERE FROM?

Post by Les Howard »

Thanks very much everyone for your replies. All food for thought and I will phone Armours to see what variation or copy they might be able to take on. Eamonn's suggestion for S&T is one I have made enquiries with, they want about 250 quid but have an 8 week waiting time, so annoying as I should have had them done months back but now want the bike on the road and cannot wait. Indeed Greybeard's Panther is superb as it reminds me of the one I let go at an absolute bargain price of just £1.5K because I only had a very small garage at the time, mostly full of worthless junk and my father was passing away with cancer and everything got on top of me. I find it nearly impossible now to look at one without being pained by my mistake :( PS: The problem I have with SS exhaust pipes is that in a very short while they turn a gold colour even purple.... more than even standard steel chrome pipes. Yes you can abrade this off slightly but it comes back every time :(
Greybeard

Post by Greybeard »

This is stuff for stainless pipes, Les. It really is a wipe on/wipe off treatment, quite amazing really.

https://www.thepolishingshop.co.uk/auto ... 20-autosol

Steve
Reynard24

Post by Reynard24 »

Thanks for the tip Eamonn, just spoken to them - very helpful.
Les Howard

Post by Les Howard »

Thanks Greybeard. I have ss pipes on my Guzzi V50....I'll try it on them
simonh

Post by simonh »

I understand that there is a company in Slovenia that specifically sell the late model exhaust pipes and silencers. I saw reference to the pipes in Real Classic as I think the editor has a late model. This company also makes the cigar shape silencers
magnusk750

Post by magnusk750 »

simonh wrote: Sat Apr 22, 2023 5:15 pm I understand that there is a company in Slovenia that specifically sell the late model exhaust pipes and silencers. I saw reference to the pipes in Real Classic as I think the editor has a late model. This company also makes the cigar shape silencers
Have you got a link? I've googled with no success.
Joker_Bones

Post by Joker_Bones »

Reynard24

Post by Reynard24 »

Just to finish off this thread - my original late silencer was deemed unsuitable for re-chroming as it was not possible to determine if there was any wadding inside it without cutting it open.
I used the link provided by Joker_Bones and dropped an email to Miloslav Krska (English keyboard reproduction of his name) and ordered a 1 5/8" silencer for my 1963 350 - this arrived within a week of money transfer and is of very good quality, excellently packed and is now on the bike.
I found his English was very good and there were no problems with dealing with him.
He supplies right hand silencers with 1 3/4" and 1 5/8" inlets so this caters for the 350 and 500 singles and also a left hand 1 5/8" so that covers the twins too. Perhaps the Club could investigate volume manufacture for the later machines?
Joker_Bones

Post by Joker_Bones »

That's good info...
Is that the cigar shaped silencer you got?
I saw the website several years ago and wondered the usual... Are they any good? Will they turn up?
I haven't seen the cigar shape silencers available anywhere else.
Reynard24

Post by Reynard24 »

Yes, cigar shaped silencers, fitted to singles and twins from 1963 on and which he says are produced to the original English documentation.