Gearbox Oil Level

Information relating to the Matchless G5 or AJS Model 8 350cc Lightweight
Bill N

Gearbox Oil Level

Post by Bill N »

This is an extremely basic question. Please forgive me if it has been covered before. I'm just wondering how everybody else does it.

I've had my Model 8 since last November. Shortly after it arrived, as part of a few basic checks, I put it on the centre stand and checked the gearbox oil level. It seemed a bit low although not excessively so but I topped it up to the bottom of the inspection cover, adding at most a quarter of a pint. A couple of months later, I repeated the exercise in exactly the same way and there was no change.

I was thinking about making sure that the gearbox really contained enough oil to keep the gears well lubricated, so today I opened the inspection cover with the bike on the side stand. As expected, the level appeared lower but was definitely lower than I had thought it would be. This time, I topped it up to the bottom of the inspection cover with the bike on the side stand and it took about another quarter of a pint, maybe a touch more. I have not been having any signs of oil leaks but I took the bike out for a test ride of about 5 miles then left it on the side stand for a few minutes. There were no signs of any oil leaks (including around the inspection cover) so I'm happy with that and I think I will continue to use the side stand for this job in future, to ensure the oil level stays at maximum.

Is this how everybody does it?
vigo

Re: Gearbox Oil Level

Post by vigo »

No Bill I check my G5 on the level but I do lose oil as I think most with this AMC gearbox do, If you don't you've got a good one. I think generally oil loss is worn sleeve gear bushes which mainshaft runs inside then runs down centre stand. I've not heard anyone recommend to fill more than insp cover.
Bill N

Post by Bill N »

Hi vigo, I don't seem have any signs of leakage but I'll really find out for sure the next time I open the inspection cover. Up to now, the only significant oil leak I've had was when I slightly overfilled the primary chain case.
SPRIDDLER

Post by SPRIDDLER »

You can't do much more than is given on page 13 in the Owners Manual in this link:

http://archives.jampot.dk/book/Owners_m ... Manual.pdf

LW gearbox oil level.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
'There is a tide in the affairs of men
Which taken at the flood............'
Bill N

Post by Bill N »

Thanks Spriddler, this is essentially what I'm doing, bringing the oil level to just below the bottom of the orifice. The only difference compared to what I did last time was to have the bike on the side stand rather than the centre stand. I don't think I can do any harm and we'll see what happens to the level when I check it again in a few weeks.