Back end out of alignment ?

Information relating to the Matchless G5 or AJS Model 8 350cc Lightweight
Amb3611

Back end out of alignment ?

Post by Amb3611 »

Hi all, I have after a few years without a bike decided to take the plunge and get myself a small project. I have a 350 model8 1960. It has already had some “playing with” so I’m not surprised may have a few issues. On looking from the rear of the bike I noticed the mudguard was way off centre and to the right. I removed the seat which was very tight in the front brackets and removed mudguard. Now looking at the bike the rear shocks also look as though the tops are leaning to the right. I have lasered the back wheel to frame and headstock and all looks bang on. I can’t see any obvious damage to the upper rear frame which mounts the shocks etc. if I lever the left hand horizontal brace away from the seat mounting bracket on frame (by5mm) it seems to square everything up. Would a spacer be suitable or am I missing something?
KAB
roly

Re: Back end out of alignment ?

Post by roly »

sub frame twisted remove and twist back untill shock mounts are level a vice and levers should be able to do this
Amb3611

Post by Amb3611 »

Thought so ,but thought I would check for an easier fix. Many thanks, Out with the crowbars then.
KAB
Amb3611

Post by Amb3611 »

Rear sub frame was twisted,looks like bike must have fallen over at some point and with carrier on and bent frame. As suggested a big vice and the use of a half scaffold pole managed to “adjust”the offending item. Shocks now vertical and all looks well so far.
KAB