Centre and side stands + dynamo cork gasket

Information relating to the Matchless G12 or AJS Model 31 650cc twin
lochnagar

Centre and side stands + dynamo cork gasket

Post by lochnagar »

Dear All,
The 1960 G12 CSR from the A.R.E. Kirkmichael I.O.M. Museum barked into life last week with the first miles clocked up for near 25 year.
Thanks to a Rob Swift centre stand this auld Laddie can raise the bike and by relocating the side stand spring to a modified exhaust mounting bracket, (bringing the location forward), that stand no longer resembles the "suicide" version of the early Ducati 916.
With the dynamo output being next to zero I removed it to clean the commutator and replace the brushes, output voltage / amps. returned.
The AMC cork gasket ring was replaced by that used on the pre unit Triumph twins, part number 70-2226 - available from TMS of Nottingham, which, although 80 thou. inch thinner than the AMC ring, provides a more comprehensive oil tight seal.
Incidentally I used a ratchet strap round the back of the dynamo and the frame down tube and exhaust pipe to pull the dynamo in tight to compress the cork before tightening the locating band strap with the final action being to nip up the locating stud sleeve nut on the timing chest outer cover.

Many thanks to you all for answering my queries to complete the restoration to road worthiness and with all external bolt threads now liberally coated in Copaslip and SAE 150 gear oil in the greasing points, including the swinging arm pivot, the G12 CSR should be good for at least another 64 year !
dave16mct

Re: Centre and side stands + dynamo cork gasket

Post by dave16mct »

Thanks for the update and a good tip about the cork gasket.
Dave