Twin down tube frame, cotter pins??

Helpful information and requests for assitance and advice
Ianwilko13

Re: Twin down tube frame, cotter pins??

Post by Ianwilko13 »

20240225_130000.jpg
20240225_125942.jpg
Going together nicely now.πŸ‘
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
g80csp11

Post by g80csp11 »

good progress , dont forget the oil everything up through grease nipple on pivot plate
dave16mct

Post by dave16mct »

Good work. Did you have any problems putting the felt seals in?
Dave
Ianwilko13

Post by Ianwilko13 »

Hi all, I am sticking to the original screw and syringe method with SAE140 , it is important to strike the fixed end of the spoke to "seat it in the cap" once it is assembled as at has a couple of ridges on the taper to "grip" but they sit proud and hinder a seal, then retighten the nipple. I boiled up a general purpose grease and dipped the seals in them last night, they sat in place on the swinging arm and easily went in first time having first propped up the mud guard and shock absorbers by tightening the shockers top mounting bolts, then reattaching the bottom bolts to support the arm, I was then able to tap the pin in with a nylon hammer whilst watching the alignment on the oil tank side by reaching over the frame. Kind regards, Ian.
20240225_134908.jpg
20240225_134908.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Ianwilko13

Post by Ianwilko13 »

Job done now to see if I cured the swinging arm leak, Ian.πŸ™‹???
20240225_153108.jpg
g80csp11

Post by g80csp11 »

if your leak is only from the swinging arm you are doing well , good luck and thanks for documenting it helps others
Ianwilko13

Post by Ianwilko13 »

Hi Peter, having owned 9 different ajs & matchless bikes and also being a retired engineer, I make a point of fixing as many leaks as possible, this can take time though, the AMC gear selector shafts are an easy fix new seals, and then park on sidestand, swinging arm leak, many people never bother lubricating, I spent the whole weekend stopping my leak πŸ₯΅ when I awoke this morning I found that my petrol tap was leaking, drained a full tank then lapped both brass taps in with Solvol Autosol, now leak free (until the next new leak) kind regards, Ian.πŸ™‹???
56G80S

Post by 56G80S »

I expect those pictures will be a useful resource for others who are new to the job.

I did it years ago and found it a pain as even threaded rod and the arrangement you used would not shift the pin. I had to hacksaw it in half lengthwise. Consequently, I've kept is lubricated!

Johnny B
Ianwilko13

Post by Ianwilko13 »

Hi John, it moved, so I was luckyπŸ‘ the next step was to make up a 2kg slide hammer, if still not moving then a cut off disc in the Dewalt 5 inch grinder through the "Oil-lite" bushes, last resort Heat as it is indiscriminate and damages all it touches, I feel lucky, kind regards, Ian. πŸ™‹???
Radcap

Post by Radcap »

Great information. Im doing a 59 ajs 350 single.
Do the end caps push in and are retained with the spoke.
( my end caps are missing i need to make some ). Possibly make a small hole to get some oil in. ( how mutch oil )
Steve