Clutch take up has changed

Information relating to the Matchless G3 or AJS Model 16 350cc Heavyweight
Expat

Clutch take up has changed

Post by Expat »

Have an odd thing going on with the clutch on my ‘60 G3 that only really came about after a long period of disuse and is becoming more noticeable.
Most noticeable when pulling away from a standstill, the bite point is now very close to the end of the handlebar lever fully relaxed position, ie fingers off the lever. Have checked the clutch rod setting which seemed fine as does the free play at the cable entry point on the g box cover. Clutch doesn’t seem to be slipping or dragging at all but I’m a bit concerned that there’s a problem around the corner if the issue isn’t investigated. The amount of cable slack at the h bar lever is normal but to me, it’s acting like there isn’t any.

Any ideas chaps?
Keep shiny side up.

These are my principles, if you don’t like them, I have others. (Groucho Marx)
Expat

Re: Clutch take up has changed

Post by Expat »

No takers, or am missing something blindingly obvious like there’s nothing wrong with it?
Keep shiny side up.

clive

Post by clive »

The bite point is normally controlled by the clutch rod setting and free play in the cable, i would be inclined to check the rod adjustment again. Possible cause of problems, one spring uunwinding causing the bite point to be later. If you keep needing to adjust the cable free play then its possible the wire is gradually pulling out of the handlebar nipple, not unusual with pattern replacements where the wire is directly iinto the nipple rather than a separate slotted nipple.
clive
if it ain't broke don't fix
Ianwilko13

Post by Ianwilko13 »

Something is coming loose? First check the nipple and lever fulcrum at the handlebar end, next open the gearbox inspection cap and check the nipple, fulcrum and lever inside, if these all seem sound then the chain case will need to be split, operate the clutch and look at the clutch Sprocket to see if it is being pushed out it may be the nut holding it on to the gearbox output shaft has worked loose, if your lucky it may be the pushrod adjustment screw loose, at least it isn't Sunday teatime in a layby in the rain, Good luck with your search, Ian. 🙋???
SPRIDDLER

Post by SPRIDDLER »

Normally it's the opposite, i.e. over time the bite point needs the h/bar lever to be pulled closer and closer to the h/bars.
As Ian mentioned, maybe the slack in the cable is allowing the lever end of the outer cable to relocate itself in the lever assembly, or the nipple at the clutch end is mis-locating due to the slack.
My only other thought is that the inner has a broken strand which is snagging or bunching up inside the outer, somehow creating a ratchet effect and a false setting when you adjust the cable/clutch (but I'm having difficulty visualising that scenario). It's worth checking by disconnecting the cable at both ends to check if the inner slides smoothly.
'There is a tide in the affairs of men
Which taken at the flood............'
Expat

Post by Expat »

Thanks everyone for the helpful suggestions. I will check them all out on my return from holiday though I do suspect there’s something going on with the clutch itself so the chain case will have to be split, it’s weird that there’s no drag or slip happening.

Many a true word re layby and rain Ian. 😊
Keep shiny side up.