Headlamp bulb issue

Helpful information and requests for assitance and advice
G3L1946

Headlamp bulb issue

Post by G3L1946 »

Hi,

Whilst doing a few checks I noticed that my headlamp beam did not alter when dipped or when on main beam ( I’ve not had the bike long so not really noticed it before ). Looking at the manual ( 1947
G3L ) it refers to etching on the bulb indicating position to be installed. It is the original bulb holder requiring the bulb to be pushed in or outwards to focus. Simples, but the bulb has no etchings or other means to show orientation. The two filaments lay side by side and appear identical (6volt). See photo. I think this might not be the correct bulb?
Any help in getting this sorted would be greatly appreciated.
If a decided to go the led route is there a bulb available requiring no modifications. I did find a led for the rear/ stop lamp which is excellent.
IMG_2860.jpeg
As always,

Appreciated,

Steve
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
clive

Re: Headlamp bulb issue

Post by clive »

As you say the adjustment in and out will only mprove the focus not change between dip and beam. Having filaments beside each other means there will be no change between them. When i had this sort of light some years ago these side by side filament bulbs were all that i could find. Good luck in tracking something better down
clive
if it ain't broke don't fix
G3L1946

Post by G3L1946 »

Thanks Clive. The bulb doesn’t appear to be a main/dip type bulb. I’m also exploring a possible LED option .
Regards,

Steve
G3L1946

Post by G3L1946 »

Hi Clive and others,

I think this might do the job? Confirmed it is high and low beam.

Fleebay item. Just over £8 each. Noted, available in Pos. and Neg. earth.

Steve
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
clive

Post by clive »

I bought an LED from ebay (not necessarily this one but similar) which claimed to be 6V. When it came it did work on 6 V but was not very bright. Interaction with the seller established they worked from 6 to 24 V. At 12v it was very bright so i hung on to it as i have some 12V bikes. No use at 6V though. Would be interested in your expdrience.
clive
if it ain't broke don't fix
G3L1946

Post by G3L1946 »

Hi Clive,

I did see other options that, as you say, were ‘able’ to operate at a range of voltages. I, too, had a ‘conversation ’ with the vendor both to establish that it was a dim/dip bulb and to ensure voltage. Both answers were in the positive ( no pun intended!). I noted also that some bulbs were positive, negative earth or even bi- polarity. As it was only £8 I thought it worth a try. When I’ve got some results I will post my findings. It’s coming from PRC so could be a week or so prior to receiving it.
The led fitted to the rear light/ brake light provided good results ( and was small enough to fit into the original MT 110 type lamp bought from the club shop).

Cheers,

Steve
G3L1946

Post by G3L1946 »

Hi Clive et Al,

Well, fitted the led it having arrived from PRC at long last. Fitted bulb and worked perfectly, no orientation required for high or low beam. Needed to slightly file one of the bayonet pins as it was too long. On test drew 0.4 amps on high beam. This is a 6 volt, positive earth bulb. Not multi volt ( 6 to 24 volt ). My ‘47 had been converted to positive earth. With rear light (led also) and full beam under 1 amp drain. See photos, main beam and ammeter reading. A marked improvement especially as the reflector had been painted silver, I removed the paint, and carefully polished the reflector with silver plate polish. I know that’s not a very good idea but needs must. Very happy with the outcome.

Regards,

Steve
Colonel Blink

Post by Colonel Blink »

That's nice to know, given that sometime in the next month or two I will wiring up my 52 G80S and have decided to keep it 6V and go the LED route.
I'd be interested in what it is like to ride with.....
G3L1946

Post by G3L1946 »

Hi Colonel,

As you’re aware the rain in North Yorkshire continues relentlessly! When, and if, it stops I’ll venture out to see how it performs. Tests in the drive looked favorable so, hopefully, should be fine. I managed to source a led tail/ stop lamp bulb which also works perfectly.

Steve
Colonel Blink

Post by Colonel Blink »

Yes indeed.... it's started to get difficult to fit shoes on over my webbed feet....

Which tail/stop LED did you get... the white or the red?