Burman GB box - fitting inner gasket

Helpful information and requests for assitance and advice
56G80S

Burman GB box - fitting inner gasket

Post by 56G80S »

A simple question.

I guess that it's possible to remove the "kickstart" cover, pop out the selector pegs, undo the ratchet assembly and take out the inner case, leave the gear cogs inside?

I may need to replace the gasket between the middle case and the main case, the one that's between the engine plates.

I appear to be losing clean oil and it's not from the primary or the engine! The drive side core plugs were checked and JB welded in place before fitting the gearbox; which I had personally refurbished many years ago but used the old red Hermetite. I knew the screws were loose because I had a leak and tightened them before Salisbury but didn't have time to do a proper job.

It's come back to bite me.

Johnny B
ajscomboman

Re: Burman GB box - fitting inner gasket

Post by ajscomboman »

No need to remove the kickstarter just take care when you pull the cover off as it wants to unwind! Only the gear lever and indicator need removing to get the outer off along with the cable but even that can be left if you only want to put the cover out the way. Then you can delve in at your hearts content with the split pins etc.
56G80S

Post by 56G80S »

Cheers, Rob!

I thought that was the case (! - it's all about the cases) but needed reassurance. I think I have spare gaskets too EDIT - yep, I do have gaskets, just checked my order history on AMOC Spares. The irony is the gearbox is working fine, which it should do as the bearings and bushes have done little work. The only hiccup is when I forget it's not the AMC box and rush it.

Johnny B
56G80S

Post by 56G80S »

Just as a follow up, I found the energy today to do a bit of organising in the new lock up after the rushed move.

More importantly, I checked the gearbox oil level. Well, it had dropped but only by a 2/3 millimetres at most. Rolled around on the floor and couldn't see any sign of leakage from between the main case and the mid case. Bearing in mind it's SAE 50 in there so pretty sticky and leaves a trace but there was none. So attention will turn to the oil pump end plates / pipes.

Nothing apparent from the rocker box feed plate. Looks like some minor seepage from the other plate (the pump is working fine). I'd had difficulty routing the copper pipes, which had signs of damage from rubbing on each other and frame parts. I'd repaired the damaged areas with solder and cut the pipes to leave a stub and moved to a hybrid pipe/hose approach; which is soaked in oil. I'd foolishly used a material coated hose and that holds the oil.

I need to revisit the clips for tightness and have stuck some gaffer tape to mark the oil tank level (used a dipstick). I'll do a few miles and see what the reduction is. I ran out of steam.

TBH it is deceiving how a small amount of oil can look like a lot; I may just live with it.

So thread closed.

Johnny B
56G80S

Post by 56G80S »

Update: the sun came out this afternoon and as I won't be up to riding from Friday onwards for about 6 days (chemo on this Friday) I went for a run out, only 30/40 miles. I had cleaned the areas around likely oil loss points and it's actually the rear pump plate that's the culprit. I recall that when assembling there was a problem with the gasket (cut outs in the wrong place). I was also timid in tightening as I had, in my youth, snapped one of the little bolts.

Wish I had done the stud conversion on all four of the bolt holes rather than just the one!

Johnny B
spookefoote1956

Post by spookefoote1956 »

Morning Johnny I put Dynolite Semi-Fluid Grease in my gearbox. No leaks!
Hail Joe Lucas ............ Prince of Darkness!
All my bikes are original........ to me!
"Creativity is your intelligence having fun" Albert Einstein
56G80S

Post by 56G80S »

Spookey,

It turns out the gearbox isn't the culprit after all. And a good job too.

How did the move go and are you settling in OK?

Johnny B
spookefoote1956

Post by spookefoote1956 »

Settled in well Johnny thanks. I need to get out and about and meet some likeminded folks.
Hail Joe Lucas ............ Prince of Darkness!
All my bikes are original........ to me!
"Creativity is your intelligence having fun" Albert Einstein