Teledraulic forks assembly procedure

Helpful information and requests for assitance and advice
Colonel Blink

Teledraulic forks assembly procedure

Post by Colonel Blink »

This may be a stupid question, and I may have missed summat blindingly obvious....

When assembling the fork legs into the yokes (which are already/still fitted to the bike), is it better/easier to

a) assemble the damper/slider to the stanchion first (hopefully remembering the seal, upper bush and buffer spring) along with the slider extension to press the seal and bush into place, then fit the whole leg along with spring and leather washers to the yokes

or

b) fit the stanchion/seal/upper bush/buffer spring into the yokes first, then fit slider/extension/leather washers & spring to the fitted stanchion assembly?

Bit of background: my 1952 G80S is fitted with earlier (I believe 1947) forks, and b) appears to be how the 1947 manual seems to suggest doing it, but I can't help but feel that it might be difficult to ensure the bush and seal are seated properly - that aspect would be much easier using method a).....

I do have 'The Tool'!
clive

Re: Teledraulic forks assembly procedure

Post by clive »

I have always assembled the legs then inserted the stanchion into the yolks. Does require having a puller.
clive
if it ain't broke don't fix
dave16mct

Post by dave16mct »

Yes I've always used method a). Make a puller from an old top fork nut and some studding, or buy one!
Dave
Colonel Blink

Post by Colonel Blink »

Thank you, gentlemen.... much as I thought. As I mentioned in the original post, I do have 'the tool'.....!
Harry44

Post by Harry44 »

My tool came with a Tee handle at the top, which would require you to put the tool down through the top yoke while with the other three hands pushing the assembled fork leg up through the bottom yoke and attempting to screw them together at the risk of skinned knuckles and cross threading expensive parts.
A large hammer removed said Tee handle allowing me to screw the tool into the top of the stanchion and shoving the whole lot up from the bottom yoke.
But I imagine I'm not alone in this method.

Cheers Harry
si is does non opportunus vos postulo a maior pango
Colonel Blink

Post by Colonel Blink »

Mine has two flats on the threaded rod so yes, it can be assembled to the stanchion before insertion....
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.