Goggles to Fit Over Glasses

General purpose topics/chat goes in here
Bill N

Goggles to Fit Over Glasses

Post by Bill N »

Hi Everybody,

I'm looking for recommendations for goggles that fit reasonably well over prescription glasses.

I wear an AGV Orbyt helmet (channelling Princess Leia) which is open face with a flip-up visor. I generally ride with the visor raised up and my varifocal glasses. The visor is generally OK but, depending on the weather, it tends to mist up a bit when riding at lower speeds with it down. I have recently had a problem with an eye infection, bad enough to stop me from riding temporarily, and I'm feeling a bit sensitive about my eyes. I'm thinking about getting some goggles to go over my glasses but I see mixed reports about just about all of them. At the moment, I'm considering Bobster Nighthawk OTG Goggles. Any feedback or suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Bill.
CharlesDP

Re: Goggles to Fit Over Glasses

Post by CharlesDP »

Bill, I'm the same as you, I wear varifocal glasses but now that I have fitted Pinlock to my visor I have no trouble at all with misting up.
Bill N

Post by Bill N »

Back in the day, I used to have a cheap full-face helmet. The visor didn't mist up as long as I left one side unfastened, which was no problem. Now I'm more concerned about eye protection since I've discovered that I prefer having the visor open or mostly open these days (which is not how I felt about it in my younger days).
SPRIDDLER

Post by SPRIDDLER »

Bill N wrote: Wed Apr 10, 2024 8:22 pm Now I'm more concerned about eye protection since I've discovered that I prefer having the visor open or mostly open these days
In all seriousness........
The vet warned me not to let the dog stick its head out of the car window as it would dry his eyes and is generally detrimental to them.
'There is a tide in the affairs of men
Which taken at the flood............'
Bill N

Post by Bill N »

I went for a short spin yesterday (it was slightly breezy) with the visor down and the misting was minimal. In the meantime, I've ordered a cheap pair of Mark 5 Vision goggles from Halcyon, which arrived today. I've tried them on and they fit over the bins but I've yet to use them on the bike, so we'll have to see about that.
magnusk750

Post by magnusk750 »

I suppose there's not one that fits well for all because of different shape of glasses, helmets and faces.
bjork

Post by bjork »

I can only agree with Magnus above. It all depends on what helmet/goggles/head shape combination. You will have to try a few yourself. One thing I can recommend is an pair of 'sports' glasses fitted with your prescription lenses. I bought a pair at the NEC show a few years ago. The frames fit close to your face like trendy sunglasses but you have a prescription lens. So proper vision and no nasty draughts or bugs in your eyes. The people I used had a machine that tested the regular specs I had with me and they sent a week later the new frames fitted with the lens needed. I was pleased (and surprised) how good they were. Sadly I lost them early this year in Spain. Out trail riding in the Picos I stopped for a few minutes, put them on my saddle while I admired the view. Then I rode away without picking them up.
Using yesterdays technology to create tomorrows problems today

Post by 1608 »

Hi Steve, long time no hear. See you at the rally?
limeyrob

Post by limeyrob »

Polish with washing up liquid, it will stop the fogging up while you search for a long term fix.
Bill N

Post by Bill N »

I tried the goggles this morning. They were reasonably comfortable worn under the helmet, vision was OK but I need to get used to them. There is a very slight limitation of peripheral vision but not really significant. I have a feeling that I might only need them in the cold weather because I think the visor will be alright at other times. I've just got into the habit of riding with the visor up lately, which is something I never used to do in my younger days. Now I have options. We'll see ;-).