AJS Model 16

Information relating to the Matchless G3 or AJS Model 16 350cc Heavyweight
mhosmer

AJS Model 16

Post by mhosmer »

Hello!

I am doing up a 1948 AJS Model 16, a process which is completely new to me, I have had the wheels rebuilt, and have put them back in, however, the rear wheel is sitting to far over to the left. I have put the spacers back in as I took them out (of course that doesn't mean they are correct!). I just don't see how the position of the wheel can move across without alternative spacers.

Does anyone know what size the spacers should be. I have looked at the spare parts books and the proportions of the spacers in there look about the same as mine.

I am pretty sure the wheel was off centre when I got the bike, the mud guard wasn't connected properly either.

Any help or advice would be greatly received.

I have tried attaching some photos but it is not working for some reason. Sorry!
limeyrob

Re: AJS Model 16

Post by limeyrob »

Can you ask the wheel builder what offset they used on the rim and what manual they worked to. The first thing is to be sure the wheel is built correctly before moving the spacers around.
dave16mct

Post by dave16mct »

The sprockets need to line up. If you use the diagram of the rear hub on page 61 of the manual together with the parts list you should be able to sort the spacers out. From memory the rims are central to the hub (no offset) but sometimes they need to be moved over. https://www.jampot.com/archives//AJS%20 ... 20Book.pdf
Dave
mhosmer

Post by mhosmer »

Thank you Rob and Dave, I will go back to the wheel builder and ask the question, I will also have a look to see if the sprockets line up.
mhosmer

Post by mhosmer »

Hi,

The wheel builders have come back and said " We list the Rear Offset as O …. (Central between the Flanges)" I have also checked the cog alignment and I would say that it is about a chain width out, with the rear cog to close to the frame.

Thank you