Tec Info Needed. Please.

Information relating to the Matchless G9 or AJS Model 20 500cc twin
Karaokebrian

Tec Info Needed. Please.

Post by Karaokebrian »

Hi Friends,

Bit frustrated with my new cork seal + sealant on my Dynamo on my Model 20. Have now decided to take advice and fit a rubber seal which I can hopefully obtain locally. (Still have reservations about what is going to happen to the distorted rubber by the draw bolt) but has anyone fitted a rubber seal and two questions please. No 1, is there such a thing as a square seal, if so should this type be prefered and 2, can you tell me the diameter of the Dynamo hub, (ie the inside diam of the seal) please, so I can get it before taking the dynamo off yet again? One last thought, is there any possibility that oil can seep past the Dynamo housing and the three cornered flange that is attached to it by 2 screws. Do you suggest I take it off and put sealant or paper gasket between the two surfaces. Over to you guys and thank you in advance. Brian.
lawrence

Tec Info Needed. Please.

Post by lawrence »

Hi Brian
Some oil will come past the plate/flange which holds the seal if it is loose as a very small amount of oil has to come past the seal itself to prevent it running dry on the armature. This plate should be a firm fit on the dynamo and a slight smear of Wellseal or similar will keep it sealed though it is not that important.

A rubber 'O' ring does the job of sealing the dynamo against the crankcase but you would need to take it into an auto supplies store to offer the rings against the dynamo to see which looks the best fit. The 'O' ring will squeeze into the gap between the drawstud and case but probably won't be re-usable when it comes off. Buy two (or three!).

However if all is standard the cork seal, as sold by JSL, should be well up to the job anyway. Did you get someone to look at the crankcase to check if it is correct? Has it a groove for the cork seal to slot into? Did you fit the seal with auto silicon sealant?

I believe the plate should have three screws holding it. Mine also has two but I was told it should have three. There is a third hole and it appears to have a stripped thread on mine.Edited by - lawrence on 03 Aug 2008 8:33:17 PM