G9 500 twin fuel tap

Information relating to the Matchless G9 or AJS Model 20 500cc twin
cheh182

G9 500 twin fuel tap

Post by cheh182 »

hi, im new to the club, just bought my first classic, a 1959 matchless g9 500 twin, i was hoping somebody would be able to help me,one of the fuel taps is leaking and i need a new one does anyone know the correct size i need to get and wheres the best place to get it from? thanks
charlie
crawsue

G9 500 twin fuel tap

Post by crawsue »

Can't help you with the exact details as there have been lots of different types put to use over the past 50 or so years,but if you explore the site and in particular the "search forums "facility (under the "Forum" heading)you will get lots of info.JSL (Jampot Spares Ltd) is the club's own spares scheme and is open to non-members...follow the links from this site.Hope you get some dry weather to enjoy your "new" 'bike.Welcome to the site.
Hard work never killed anyone.....but why take the risk?
jamster

G9 500 twin fuel tap

Post by jamster »

You may be able to identify the type by searching on E-Bay just to see if there are any like yours.

If its the flat slide type it`ll be the cork washers inside that need replacing. Most are 1/4 1/4 or 1/8 1/4 it would appear and all on E-Bay are 1/4 1/4 so be aware buying new taps from them.
If you ring AMC spares they are most helpful and can sort you out.
mick williams

G9 500 twin fuel tap

Post by mick williams »

Hi Charlie

Are you any relation to our resident 'Fishsponge'!? He's a Hobbs too!! Then we could call you Uncle Fish or something

If it is the flat slide type this is a very commom problem, as the cork inserts dry out when not in use. It is sometimes possible to dismantle the tap remove the corks and soak them in boiling water so they swell up again. I have heard lots of other solutions on this forum, but the corks are only about 50p each if this does not work!

The Jamster is right, there are more than one size!
RIDE FREE AND STAY UPRIGHT
SPRIDDLER

G9 500 twin fuel tap

Post by SPRIDDLER »

Welcome, Charlie.
The Bruce Main-Smith copy of the original AMC parts list is ESSENTIAL. Get a copy (0116 277 7669 if that's still their number). It has exploded diagrams of your machine and the AMC part numbers of all components; numbers which all spares suppliers use.
You will fumble around in the dark forever more without it. Believe me.
I recommend that you join the club too!
If your bike has been standing with an empty tank before you bought it the corks will have dried and shrunk and new ones will leak too unless you boil 'em for a few minutes first.
You're welcome.
'There is a tide in the affairs of men
Which taken at the flood............'