G3L Tyre Pressures

General purpose topics/chat goes in here
Ixy

G3L Tyre Pressures

Post by Ixy »

I've just bought a 1961 Matchless G3L. Can anyone tell me what the tyre pressures should be?
Front is an old Goodyear All Service 3.25x19, back is an old Avon SM Mk11 3.50x19. I know I should change them to something better like TT100s, any suggestions?
Charles.
Deceased

G3L Tyre Pressures

Post by Charles. »

both sizes are correct,the rear SM is a popular fitment so if sound is ok.a good match on the front is avon speedmaster 3.25x19 and pressures of approx 20psi front and 22psi rear are good for solo unladen use assuming average weight rider.try it at these settings first then adjust to suit your own preference.my hand book says max of 32psi at wheel load of 440lbs,that sounds a lot of passengers/sarnies to me.TT100s are agreat tyre but wasted on a G3L.these avons are very good and so are dunlop K70's in the same sizes plus they both look sort of period-ish and are made of decent modern rubber.
matchlessp11

G3L Tyre Pressures

Post by matchlessp11 »

To back up the comments. Avon SM Mk II or Dunlop K70's are good but I ran my old model 18 on TT100's. Fantastic grip but .... the narrow profile means a VERY hard ride. With limited suspension travel older bikes relied to some extent on the tyres particularly the rear "helping" the suspension to soak up the bumps. Unless you're a speed freak do'nt fit the TT100's.