7R and Norton Manx production figures

Information relating to the Matchless G85 500cc Heavyweight, AJS 7R, Matchless G45 and Matchless G50
harrisrotax

Post by harrisrotax »

Hi

Is there any records how many 7R production road racers were made from 1948-1963?
I have never seen any total numbers from 7R or for Norton Manx.
Some have been estimated that about 500 pieces were made of 7R and some 2000 Norton Manx models 350-500cc.

Just wondering if this information is even close?

Regards
harrisrotax

Post by harrisrotax »

Hi

Just found a number from Mick Walkers book and he claims that alltogether some 700 AJS 7R were produced.Same book has no information about Nortons.

Regards
harrisrotax

Post by harrisrotax »

Hi

Information finally found for Norton.There is a book from german and british racing bikes and it claims that there were some 100 Norton Manxes produced every year so it means some 1200-1500 pieces.
Easily 2x as AJS 7R models.

Regards
en7jos

Post by en7jos »

Ever get the feeling you're talking to yourself?
----------------------------------------------------------------------
My Matchless G3LS website is here - http://www.matchlessclueless.com
----------------------------------------------------------------------
harrisrotax

Post by harrisrotax »

Hi

Yes.Been working 7 years in english company as a finn and even workers speak more about their secrets and themselves.
These production numbers seems to be something even the natives do not know or they are afraid to say it.
From AJS dating service I got information that they do not have numbers or papers from competition compartment.Some private person has bought this material in auction.

I am just curios about numbers and for example just 3 Norton Manxes has been sold in finland as new.Most of AJS and Manx racing bikes are imported and sold by privateers as used after finishing grand prix races in finland.

Cheers
Rob Harknett

Post by Rob Harknett »

When the club secured the post war factory record books, it was thought to be complete, but some went or were missing.
Peter Allen

Post by Peter Allen »

Does the club have the factory production numbers and details of engine /frame numbers.
thanks
Peter Allen
Rob Harknett

Post by Rob Harknett »

I have managed to gather period literature
giving frame and engine numbers from 1950 to Sept. 1963 when the 7R was discontinued. NOT FACTORY RECORDS
Information I have was supplied to the trade yearly from Plumsted. I could write an artical listing only the yearly numbers and changes made yearly. If numbers are anything to go by, from 1950 to 1963, 522 7R frames, but, 1222 engines ?? So what do frame and engine numbers tell us except ??? yes more questions without answers. 700 more engines than frames, if the 1950 numbers are deducted from the last numbers, were those 700 engines sold privately, other company's??Edited by - Rob Harknett on 03 Mar 2012 12:25:45 PM
Stuoyb

Post by Stuoyb »

Spares to replace engines that have "grenaded" and scattered themseleves around a race track?
itma

Post by itma »

what is it that I don't understand about this fascination with numbers of bikes of what ever sort made 50 or more years ago?
Is someone trying to collect the whole set?