ajs-js125e

This area is for discussion/information on the "modern" AJS motorcycles manufactured in China from 2006 onwards.
kevin12

ajs-js125e

Post by kevin12 »

hi i have just brought an ajs-js 125e o9 plate its got its first mot coming up and a previous owner has cut off the rear foot rests which i need to get through a mot dont know what to do can anyone help please
SPRIDDLER

ajs-js125e

Post by SPRIDDLER »

Welcome, Kevin.
Spares are available if the mounting lugs haven't been sawn off.
Why not call in at an MOT station and ask their advice? You don't have to go back there for your MOT
Alternatively, look up the Test regs on the Gov't DfT website.
Aftermarket 'universal' footrests are readily available; they don't have to be AJS ones. Have a look on eBay or do a Google search.
Edited by - SPRIDDLER on 08 Nov 2011 9:43:18 PM
'There is a tide in the affairs of men
Which taken at the flood............'
kevin12

ajs-js125e

Post by kevin12 »

quote:
hi i have just brought an ajs-js 125e o9 plate its got its first mot coming up and a previous owner has cut off the rear foot rests which i need to get through a mot dont know what to do can anyone help please

the lugs have beeh cut off
bjork

ajs-js125e

Post by bjork »

Can't you get something welded back on? They don't have to be original. They do need to be secure and no sharp edges etc. Maybe you can drill and bolt something on?
Using yesterdays technology to create tomorrows problems today
alanjennings

ajs-js125e

Post by alanjennings »

I'm puzzled! I have a JS125e and the rear footrests are on aluminium hangers-one holds on the exhaust silencer?! A picture would help. I can't see they are necessary for an M.O.T? I see plenty of bikes around without fear footrests.
Alan [Morini] Jennings
Rob Harknett

ajs-js125e

Post by Rob Harknett »

The MoT manual says, footrest are not required but there must be a hand grab rail on or near the seat. You should pass an MoT without pegs. Like most things, if fitted they have to meet requirments. like a spot light, if fitted it has to work.
kevin12

ajs-js125e

Post by kevin12 »

because the bike has got two seats it has to have rear foot rests
Youngster

ajs-js125e

Post by Youngster »

2 seats? or a dual seat? if it is 2 seats, why not just remove the rear seat.

If its dual seats, you could always make a cowl of sorts so that it has the appearance of a single seat.

Are you really sure you need the rear pegs for the MOT? Have you tried asking at a different MOT station to see what they think, your MOT inspector might be a bit overpicky.

Or, alternatively, if you havent had the bike that long, why not take it back and either get them to fix it or get your money back because its not fit for purpose as a road vehicle.Edited by - Youngster on 10 Nov 2011 3:48:25 PM
Too many bikes, So little time!!
Eamonn
Webmaster

ajs-js125e

Post by Eamonn »

"Pillion foot rests are not required on motor bicycles that only have a single seat. In addition some motor bicycles used on or after 14 June 1993, which are intended to carry a passenger may not be fitted with footrests but with hand holds attached to the motor bicycles frame adjacent to, or part of the seat. Refer to manufacturers information eg owners handbook. "

Click here for details
Corners like a Lego man
bigwol

ajs-js125e

Post by bigwol »

Yes i red that too, seems daft to me that your pillion can have his or her leg waving wildly about so long as they have a firm hold around theseat area ..........
Oh dear, first Louise and her falsies on the jampot strip thread, now legs assunder, i think i'll have to go and lie down .......
It's all just riding motorbikes